Instant pot steak recipe that is easy, quick, juicy and absolutely delicious. This pressure cooker steak recipe is so good you'll never make steak any other way. Let me show you how to make the best instant pot steak recipe.
What is steak
Steak is boneless thick slice of meat that is cut from the hindquarters accross the muscle fibers. Steak can be pan fried, grilled, cooked in sauce or made in the instant pot pressure cooker as i have done with this recipe. The best cut of beef steak include porterhouse steak, t-bone, new york strip, sirlion steak, ribeye, tenderloin.
Beef steak can be cooked rare (seared outer, pink in the middle), medium rare or well done (no pinkiness in the middle).
Instant Pot Steak Recipe
This instant pot steak is so juicy, flavorful and cooks in less than 15 minutes! Served with gravy made at the same time as the steak, fries or mashed potatoes and vegetables makes for satisfying, high protein, great weekend or midweek dinner. You can serve it on it's own or with just gravy if you are on low carb or keto diet.
We love eating steak and meat generally especially when cooked right. When i say 'we' i mean i and my family. Meat forms a large part of our diet and i have numerous delicious meat recipes that i will continue to share with you as time goes on.
There are different types of steak including ribeye steak, tenderloin, newyork strip, flank steak, skirt steak, lamb steak and the rest. You can use any of these for this recipe however it's best to use steak that is atleast 1 inch thick.
I like my steak well done however i have included recipe variation for rare, medium done and welldone in this post. If you are the rare steak eater, you only need to use the saute button of the instant pot for this recipe and for medium done and well done eaters, you'll use the saute and pressure cooker function of the instant pot pressure cooker for this recipe. I have also included how to make delicious gravy to go with the steak.
I used my instant pot duo 7 in 1 6 quart for this recipe but you can also make it in any other electric pressure cooker like ninja foodie, pressure king pro and others. The instant pot 6 quart fits 2 average steak at a time to serve 2.
Ingredients for instant pot steak
The ingredients for this recipe are few and simple (Detailed ingredients list and directions in recipe card at the end of the post) .
Steak - Use any cut of steak like ribeye, sirlion, tenderloin, etc.
Salt - Careful not to oversalt
Oregano - optional
Garlic - fresh minced garlic or garlic powder works fine for this recipe
Beef broth - You can use water if you don't have beef broth.
What else can be used to season steak?
I occassionally add the below to season steak but usually i keep it simple and use just the above ingredients.
How to make steak in instant pot
Like i already said, making steak in instant pot pressure cooker is easy, simple and quick. You can also make sides like potatoes and gravy in the instant pot at the same time. Below is how to make steak in pressure cooker and how to make gravy at the same time.
1) Mix garlic and butter then set aside.
2) Pat steak dry with kitchen towel, rub with salt, oregano and black pepper.
3) Set instant pot to saute function then add half of the butter/garlic mix in the inner pot of the instant pot.
4) Add in steak and sear the side for 2 minutes without moving it then turn and sear the other side for another 2 minutes before transferring to a plate.
If you want steak rare, sear for 3 minutes on each side, leave to rest before serving. For medium, and welldone move to step 5.
5) Add 1 cup beef broth in the inner pot of the instant pot, add chopped onions and garlic. Scrape inner pot to deglaze.
6) Place trivet in the inner pot of the instant pot and put seared steak on trivet.
7) Cover instant pot with it's lid and put vent in sealing position. Set instant pot to pressure cook high for 4 minutes and do a 5 minutes natural release.
8) Once instant pot is depresurised, open and take out steak.
9) Immediately add the remaining garlic/butter mix on top. Leave to rest for 5 minutes then enjoy with sides of choice.
How to make Gravy
1) After taking out the steak from the instant pot, Sieve the content of the instant pot and add the liquid back into the pot.
2) Set instant pot to saute mode.
3) Pour cornflour slurry in the pot. Stir till gravy thickens then take off heat.
Serve gravy with steak
What to serve with steak
Fries / Chips
TIPS FOR INSTANT POT STEAK
- Remember to deglaze the instant pot after searing so as to avoid burn error when pressure cooking.
- Leave Steak to rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting into it.
- Top steak with garlic butter mix as soon as you take the steak out of instant pot so it can melt into the steak and collect with the juice.
How to store leftover steak
Allow steak to cool completely then put in airtight container or freezer bag. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days and in the freezer for up to 4 months. To reheat,
MORE STEAK RECIPES
Check out these delicious recipes
Chicken recipes you'll love
Want more? check out these Rice recipes
Instant Pot Steak
- Instant pot pressure cooker
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 2 cloves Garlic minced or ½ teaspoon garlic granules
- ¼ teaspoon Oregano
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Parsley optional
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper optional
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1 cup Beef broth or water
- 1 tablespoon Cornflour/ Cornstarch mix with water to form cornflour slurry
- Mix garlic and butter then set aside.
- Pat steak dry with kitchen towel, rub with salt, parsley, oregano and black pepper.
- Set instant pot to saute function then add half of the garlic butter mix in the inner pot of the instant pot.
- Add in steak and sear the side for 2 minutes without moving it then turn and sear the other side for another 2 minutes before transfering to a plate .If you want steak rare sear for 3 minutes on each side, leave to rest before serving. For medium, and welldone move to step 5.
- Add 1 cup beef broth in the inner pot of the IP, add chopped onions and garlic. Scrape inner pot to deglaze.
- Place trivet in the inner pot of the instant pot and put seared steak on trivet.
- Cover instant pot with it's lid and put vent in sealing position. Set instant pot to pressure cook high for 5 minutes and do a 5 minutes natural release.For medium done, do a quick release
- Once instant pot is depressurised, open the instant pot and take out steak.
- Immediately add the remaining garlic butter mix on top. Leave to rest for 5 minutes then enjoy with sides of choice.
How to Make Gravy
- After taking out the steak from the instant pot, Sieve the content of the instant pot and add the liquid back into the pot.
- Set instant pot to saute mode.
- Pour cornflour slurry in the pot. Stir till gravy thickens then take off heat.
- Serve gravy with steak.
If you try this steak recipe, rate it below.
How do you like your steak? rare, medium rare or well done? Let me know below. I love reading from you.