Instant pot steak recipe that is easy, quick, juicy and absolutely delicious. This pressure cooker steak recipe is so good you'll never make steak any other way. Let me show you how to make the best instant pot steak recipe.
What is steak
Steak is boneless thick slice of meat that is cut from the hindquarters accross the muscle fibers. Steak can be pan fried, grilled, cooked in sauce or made in the instant pot pressure cooker as i have done with this recipe. The best cut of beef steak include porterhouse steak, t-bone, new york strip, sirlion steak, ribeye, tenderloin.
Beef steak can be cooked rare (seared outer, pink in the middle), medium rare or well done (no pinkiness in the middle).
Instant Pot Steak Recipe
This instant pot steak is so juicy, flavorful and cooks in less than 15 minutes! Served with gravy made at the same time as the steak, fries or mashed potatoes and vegetables makes for satisfying, high protein, great weekend or midweek dinner. You can serve it on it's own or with just gravy if you are on low carb or keto diet.
We love eating steak and meat generally especially when cooked right. When i say 'we' i mean i and my family. Meat forms a large part of our diet and i have numerous delicious meat recipes that i will continue to share with you as time goes on.
There are different types of steak including ribeye steak, tenderloin, newyork strip, flank steak, skirt steak, lamb steak and the rest. You can use any of these for this recipe however it's best to use steak that is atleast 1 inch thick.
I like my steak well done however i have included recipe variation for rare, medium done and welldone in this post. If you are the rare steak eater, you only need to use the saute button of the instant pot for this recipe and for medium done and well done eaters, you'll use the saute and pressure cooker function of the instant pot pressure cooker for this recipe. I have also included how to make delicious gravy to go with the steak.
I used my instant pot duo 7 in 1 6 quart for this recipe but you can also make it in any other electric pressure cooker like ninja foodie, pressure king pro and others. The instant pot 6 quart fits 2 average steak at a time to serve 2.
Ingredients for instant pot steak
The ingredients for this recipe are few and simple (Detailed ingredients list and directions in recipe card at the end of the post) .
Steak - Use any cut of steak like ribeye, sirlion, tenderloin, etc.
Salt - Careful not to oversalt
Oregano - optional
Garlic - fresh minced garlic or garlic powder works fine for this recipe
Beef broth - You can use water if you don't have beef broth.
What else can be used to season steak?
I occassionally add the below to season steak but usually i keep it simple and use just the above ingredients.
How to make steak in instant pot
Like i already said, making steak in instant pot pressure cooker is easy, simple and quick. You can also make sides like potatoes and gravy in the instant pot at the same time. Below is how to make steak in pressure cooker and how to make gravy at the same time.
1) Mix garlic and butter then set aside.
2) Pat steak dry with kitchen towel, rub with salt, oregano and black pepper.
3) Set instant pot to saute function then add half of the butter/garlic mix in the inner pot of the instant pot.
4) Add in steak and sear the side for 2 minutes without moving it then turn and sear the other side for another 2 minutes before transferring to a plate.
If you want steak rare, sear for 3 minutes on each side, leave to rest before serving. For medium, and welldone move to step 5.
5) Add 1 cup beef broth in the inner pot of the instant pot, add chopped onions and garlic. Scrape inner pot to deglaze.
6) Place trivet in the inner pot of the instant pot and put seared steak on trivet.
7) Cover instant pot with it's lid and put vent in sealing position. Set instant pot to pressure cook high for 4 minutes and do a 5 minutes natural release.
8) Once instant pot is depresurised, open and take out steak.
9) Immediately add the remaining garlic/butter mix on top. Leave to rest for 5 minutes then enjoy with sides of choice.
How to make Gravy
1) After taking out the steak from the instant pot, Sieve the content of the instant pot and add the liquid back into the pot.
2) Set instant pot to saute mode.
3) Pour cornflour slurry in the pot. Stir till gravy thickens then take off heat.
Serve gravy with steak
What to serve with steak
Fries / Chips
TIPS FOR INSTANT POT STEAK
- Remember to deglaze the instant pot after searing so as to avoid burn error when pressure cooking.
- Leave Steak to rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting into it.
- Top steak with garlic butter mix as soon as you take the steak out of instant pot so it can melt into the steak and collect with the juice.
How to store leftover steak
Allow steak to cool completely then put in airtight container or freezer bag. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days and in the freezer for up to 4 months. To reheat,
MORE STEAK RECIPES
Check out these delicious recipes
Chicken recipes you'll love
Want more? check out these Rice recipes
Instant Pot Steak
- Instant pot pressure cooker
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 2 cloves Garlic minced or ½ teaspoon garlic granules
- ¼ teaspoon Oregano
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Parsley optional
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper optional
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1 cup Beef broth or water
- 1 tablespoon Cornflour/ Cornstarch mix with water to form cornflour slurry
- Mix garlic and butter then set aside.
- Pat steak dry with kitchen towel, rub with salt, parsley, oregano and black pepper.
- Set instant pot to saute function then add half of the garlic butter mix in the inner pot of the instant pot.
- Add in steak and sear the side for 2 minutes without moving it then turn and sear the other side for another 2 minutes before transfering to a plate .If you want steak rare sear for 3 minutes on each side, leave to rest before serving. For medium, and welldone move to step 5.
- Add 1 cup beef broth in the inner pot of the IP, add chopped onions and garlic. Scrape inner pot to deglaze.
- Place trivet in the inner pot of the instant pot and put seared steak on trivet.
- Cover instant pot with it's lid and put vent in sealing position. Set instant pot to pressure cook high for 5 minutes and do a 5 minutes natural release.For medium done, do a quick release
- Once instant pot is depressurised, open the instant pot and take out steak.
- Immediately add the remaining garlic butter mix on top. Leave to rest for 5 minutes then enjoy with sides of choice.
How to Make Gravy
- After taking out the steak from the instant pot, Sieve the content of the instant pot and add the liquid back into the pot.
- Set instant pot to saute mode.
- Pour cornflour slurry in the pot. Stir till gravy thickens then take off heat.
- Serve gravy with steak.
If you don’t want to miss a thing on the blog, Subscribe for free weekly recipes in your email. Also follow recipe vibes on instagram and pinterest.
If you try this steak recipe, rate it below.
How do you like your steak? rare, medium rare or well done? Let me know below. I love reading from you.
Deborah Roland says
Wow...it looks incredible, complete perfection 👌👌👌 btw I love love your cooking style 🥰
Steak turned out great! I only used oregano and salt on the steaks, and butter to saute. Added 1 cup of water w/a little chopped onion. Set my timer to 4min for this 1-1/4" top-sirloin. Came out so good. Befre letting it rest, I broiled it in my counter top oven for a minute each side. From first cut to last it was so juicy, tender and tasty! Made another for 3 min and it came out just how I like it, more like med-rare. Thank you so much for this easy recipe that is great!
Thanks so much for your feedback.
Thank you for sharing this. It comes out 👌 Perfect every time.
This comment makes me happy.Thank you so much for the feedback.
Addie C Welsh says
I was wondering if you increase the time cooking for thicker steaks or does it need to be a certain size?
Thank for the recipe! It was my first time cooking in my Instant Pot and the steak was great and a hit with my girls!!
You're welcome and i'm so glad you nailed it. Thanks for the feedback Julie.
John M says
Came out perfect! Thank you so much! Pared this with a side of sauteed asparagus.
That's good to know. Thank you for the feedback
turned out good although I did add a few things to give it a little pizazz. I dont eat meat, but the gravy was good on the noodles! And the carnivores in the house really liked the steak. thanks!!
I'm glad to know you liked the gravy and the 'carnivores' loved the steak..haha.I appreciate the feedback.
Kim Schoenknecht says
My husband has very few teeth but was dreaming of a rib eye. I thought the instapot was his only hope of chewing any kind of steak but had no clue how to cook it. Your recipe was very helpful and he said it was perfect. Thank you for posting; it gave a very ill man a lot of pleasure.
I am so glad your husband enjoyed his steak and welldone to you for making it happen. Thank you for the feedback.
If you want steak rare using Instant Pot is redundant and easier in a fry pan. Going to experiment next with a saute 2 min, PC 3min, with quick release. Aiming for medium rare.
This was an easy recipe to follow and I appreciate that! Our steaks turned out a bit too done for us. I did the quick release after cooking for 5 minutes hoping for medium. Should I reduce the cooking time to 3 minutes? I used NY Strip steaks.
The flavor was great and I finally got gravy to thicken for the first time ever! I will definitely give it another try. Thanks for the recipe!
Hi Trisha, Yes do 3 minutes next time as cooking time does slightly vary with thickness. I'm glad you liked the flavour and your gravy thickened.
As long as i sear the steaks separately, can I cook them one on top of the other while both are on too of the trivet? I have 2 porterhouse steaks that are too big to lay side by side on the trivet. Thanks!
Hi Alexis, Yes that should be fine. Sear them separately and place them both on the trivet to pressure cook.
OMG!!! Deglaze the pot - she’s right and I can’t stress that enough. That stuff is GOLD for the gravy. It’s so good! I like my steak rare and my wife likes hers medium so I did a 2 minute sear on each side and 5 min pressure cook. It was perfect. I added a little cornstarch to the drippings and it was better gravy than I’ve ever had. Thank you so much!
PS - to whoever said it was easier to pan cook the steak - the point of this recipe was to learn how to make it in an IP - not the best/easiest/only available method in the kitchen.
Hi PrincessNary, It's good to know it was perfect for you. Thanks so much for the detailed feedback.
I agree! The gravy from this is incredible! I didn't use it on my steak though, and I had not planned mashed potatoes, but next time for sure I will make the mashed potatoes ahead of time. So so good! I did put it in the fridge and the next day it was even better! Delectable! Serious flavor here! Which is shocking from just one steak! And a good amount of gravy at that!
11/30/2020 I made this today it was really delicious I used a New York cut steak but always used McCormicks Montreal Steak seasoning, I added potatoes, at the bottom of the trivet and extra broth all of cooked so well. Since covid19, you can't go to a steak house, but this method worked and it was like a steak house restaurant made it, thank you. Patty.
Many thanks for your feedback Patty. I'm glad this recipe worked for you too.
Rob Wilson says
Hi. I am wanting to try a ribeye for your recipe. I like my steak medium rare. Have you done this recipe in Instant Pot using frozen steak? I sometimes don’t decide what I’m cooking til last minute. Any advice on getting medium rare would be much appreciated and the frozen part would sure make my life easier. Thank you for any help you might be able to offer.
Steve Hillmam says
The really great part about pressure cooking is that the same cooking times work for the pressure cooker. The frozen meat just takes longer to raise the temp high enough to pressurize the cooker.
The only disadvantage is that a frozen steak won’t sauté.
Frozen steaks turn out great!
Will it work without the trivet? I lost all my pieces moving, just have pot and lid.
This was the best steak I've ever made! Thanks!
You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.
Wait.... does this article start out with... what is steak? What is a waste of time?
I just used this for a couple of New York Strips. They were seared BEAUTIFULLY. But when they cam out of the Instant Pot the beautiful sear was just gone.... they were gray and unappealing. So I threw my big cast iron skillet on the stove and heated it to blistering and wet the pan with canola oil and threw the steaks back on the heat for about 45 sec on each side then added the remaining garlic butter to the skillet and spooned it over it. Once it regained the seat it was amazing!
Very helpful!!! I also assumed the nice sear would be lost after pressure cooking, so this was my plan. Glad to know it worked for you before trying it myself!
shel holle says
Loved the gravy!
My choice of meat...should have cooked in the oven.
Michele Simmons says
This was just amazing followed your directions and I absolutely loved it. Do you by chance a one for black eye peas pinto beans and collards lol. I have some for them but this was just so good that I wanted to what yours would turn out like.
Thanks so much Mitchell, Yes I do have instant pot pinto beans and black eyed peas recipes on the blog. Use the search button on the homepage to get there 🙂
I wonder what went wrong. It's pretty bland. It's very, very tender and juicy, though. I even quadrupled the spices as there was barely enough for one steak (roughly 1/2 pound). The finished steak had a nice pink color inside. Not well done, not medium. Perfect for myself and girls. My husband likes his more medium but he'll be ok with it. My ribeyes were at least an inch thick. Since it was a last minute decision to make them, they were still on the frozen inside when I started the process. We will have to try this again.
How much steak can I cook at a time? Can I do 4 ribeyes?
I followed your instructions to make it "rare," but it came out super well-done and more like typical sliced beef than a nice juicy steak. 🙁
We liked the seasoning, though!
Alllan Sawyer says
Wow! Amazing. I made this with inexpensive chuck roast steaks and served it with sauteed zucchini and onions and Jasmine rice. It came out perfect. Thank you!
Good to know it was perfect for you too. Thanks for this feedback.
Hi, I made this and it is incredible, thank you. Was a hit with my son as well 😉
That's good to know. Thank you for the feedback 🙂