Easy Cucumber tomato salad recipe that is made with fresh tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, and vinaigrette dressing. Healthy, refreshing summer salad for picnic, gatherings, potlucks, and a side dish to any meal. Let me show you how to make cucumber tomato salad.
This tomato cucumber salad is simple, light, tasty and refreshing.
My daughters love eating cucumber and they love eating tomatoes. So what's better than having either of them? Having both of them! They love it when I make this everyday salad as they can have both on one plate.
This is a quick cucumber tomato salad recipe and probably the easiest salad to make.
No fuss, no unnecessary ingredients and you can customise to suit your taste. Add more tomatoes or more cucumber if that's what you want. Totally up to you!
Serve with bbq chicken, delicious chicken thighs and any other side dish of your choice.
Cucumber Tomato Salad Recipe
This easy cucumber tomato salad recipe is an easy and quick recipe that even a child can make. It can be made in under 10 minutes and makes use of few ingredients.
It's suitable for any occasion. From summer gatherings to picnics, potlucks, as a side dish to brunch or dinners. Whatever the occasion it's sure to be a great addition to the menu.
No heavy or expensive tools required to make it and it can be made a day ahead.
Even though this recipe is vegetarian, you can add meat like chicken, sausages, beef, shrimp. You can also add cheese if you want.
It's healthy, tasty, inexpensive and refreshing.
You can use your choice of dressing from homemade Italian dressing to balsamic vinaigrette, lemon vinaigrette, yoghurt dressing, or any dressing of your choice. You can also skip using any dressing which I often do when I just want to keep it super simple.
Benefits of tomatoes
- Tomatoes are a good source of antioxidants that are linked to health benefits including heart health and healthy skin and hair.
- They are a good source of vitamins and low in calories which is good for weight loss.
- Including tomatoes in diet can help maintain healthy blood pressure.
- One medium tomato or 7 cherry tomatoes can serve as one of 5 a day.
Benefits of cucumber
Cucumbers are refreshing, light, a great garnish for drinks, foods, and taste amazing in simple salads. Not only is cucumber one of the most popular ingredients in fresh vegetable salads, smoothies, juice, and drinks, but they also have health benefits.
- Cucumbers are high in vitamins, minerals, and a good source of phytonutrients that have disease preventive properties.
- It has 95% water content which helps with hydration and digestion.
- They contain nutrients and anti-inflammatory compounds and may help maintain blood sugar levels.
- Cucumbers are low in fat, sodium, and calories with only 16 calories in a cup. This is good and helps with weightloss.
- Putting cucumbers on the skin may help soothe sunburn and reduce skin irritation.
So, cucumbers and tomatoes are fruits that are beneficial to the body, refreshing and taste amazing.
Ingredients for Cucumber Tomato Salad
Tomatoes - I use cherry tomatoes, salad tomatoes, or baby plum for this recipe but you can use any tomatoes of your choice.
Cucumber - I used an English cucumber. They are seedless so no need to de-seed or peel. If you buy any other type and it has seeds, remove the seeds before use.
Onion - I have used red onion in this post but you can also use brown or spring onions. Research has shown that red onions are the healthiest varieties of onions. They have a mild flavor and are great in raw salads.
Dressing - I used homemade Italian salad dressing. Feel free to use any dressing of your choice.
What else can you add
You can add other ingredients in whatever quantity you seem fit. Here is some other ingredients suggestion.
Black pepper for spicy cucumber tomato salad
Tools you'll need
Knife - When I'm not making in large quantities, I prefer to use a knife to hand cut the vegetables.
Mandoline slicer dicer - They are able to give super thin slices, the slices are also uniform and done quickly. Good for when making a big batch.
Food processor - Some come with attachments that can be used to slice or dice vegetables.
Chopping board - If hand cutting the vegetables.
Bowl - To mix the salad in.
How to make Cucumber Tomato Salad
Rinse the cucumber, tomatoes, peel and rinse the onion then use a knife, food processor or mandoline slicer to cut the vegetables into shape and size you like.
Don't cut too big so that a spoonful can contain all the ingredients.
Add the cucumber, tomatoes and onions in a bowl then add extra virgin olive oil, wine vinegar, parsley, and black pepper.
Mix to combine the ingredients and put in the fridge to chill for 15 minutes.
Bring out of the fridge, serve, and enjoy.
Creamy tomato cucumber salad - Add a tablespoon of Mayonaise or yoghurt dressing to make it creamy.
Cucumber Tomato avocado salad - Add avocado in the salad to make it cucumber avocado tomato salad. Avocados are a good source of healthy fat and you can skip salad dressing.
Cucumber Tomato feta salad - Add feta cheese. Feta cheese is made from a combination of sheep and goat milk and it is soft and creamy.
You can eat on its own or serve with side dishes such as
How to store
This tomato cucumber salad will remain fresh in the fridge for up to 2 days. Ensure you cover the bowl with its cover or clingfilm so the cucumber does not lose moisture. Cucumber tends to lose moisture the longer it sits in the fridge.
- Cut the vegetables to a similar size and don't cut them too big.
- You can leave out the olive oil and wine vinegar or the dressing and use lemon juice.
- Make it tangy cucumber salad tomato by adding lemon juice.
- If you prefer it to be creamy tomato cucumber salad, add a tablespoon of mayonnaise or yoghurt.
- Add fresh chopped basil or dill for extra flavor.
More Vegetarian recipes you'll love
If you find this recipe helpful, rate it 5 stars and leave me a comment below.
Subscribe to my newsletter to get free weekly recipes delivered to your inbox. Follow along on Instagram and Pinterest for the latest updates.
Easy Cucumber Tomato Salad Recipe
- Mandoline slicer dicer
- Chopping board
- 1 Cucumber
- 1.5 cup Cherry Tomatoes or baby plum or any tomatoes of choice.
- 1 small Red Onion
- Italian dressing or any dressing of choice to taste
For Dressing (If not using Italian dressing or any other dressing)
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil optional
- ½ tablespoon Wine vinegar optional
- ⅛ teaspoon Black pepper optional
- ⅛ teaspoon Parsley or Italian seasoning optional
- Rinse the cucumber, tomatoes, peel and rinse the onion then use a knife, food processor or mandoline slicer to cut the vegetables into shape and size you like. Don't cut too big so that a spoonful can contain all the ingredients.
- Add the cucumber, tomatoes and onions in a bowl then add extra virgin olive oil, wine vinegar, parsley, and black pepper.
- Mix to combine the ingredients and put in the fridge to chill for 15 minutes.
- Bring out of the fridge, serve and enjoy.
Leave a Reply