This simple orange baked chicken is juicy, healthy, bursting with flavours and just incredibly delicious! This orange chicken recipe is perfect paired with other sides for dinner or you can serve as appetizer. This recipe is game changing and you are going to love it!
Orange baked chicken drumstick
This orange chicken recipe is made with drumstick. This part of the chicken is more juicy than white meat and let me tell you this oven baked orange chicken drumstick is just divine. You can use other chicken parts like thighs and wings.
The sweet taste of orange and honey, the flavour combined with garlic, ginger and other spices makes this orange baked chicken drumstick the juicest. It is also super tender inside and tastes so good.
If you're looking for chicken recipe with the right amount of sweetness and bursting with flavours, this is it! I must also say it is healthy. No unneccessary ingredients in this chicken. It is made with fresh orange and just a tiny bit of honey. Infact this recipe calls for just one tablespoon of honey. In my opinion, this is the perfect orange chicken recipe. Try it and you'll agree with me.
Why i love this orange chicken
- It is healthy and good source of protein. It's a low carb chicken recipe.
- Few ingredients - This recipe makes use of less than 10 ingredients.
- Smells and taste amazing - The sweet citrus smell will make you drool many times before the chicken comes out of the oven and when you finally taste it you'll need will power to stop eating.
- Quick and makes for great dinner - 45 minutes is what it takes to bake this chicken made with orange slices.
- Insanely delicious - What is the point if it doesn't tick this box? It absolutely tastes delicious!
Orange baked chicken ingredients
The ingredients for this orange chicken drumstick are:
Orange - Juice, zest, skin
What other spices can you add ?
Take it up a notch by adding extra seasonings or spices like:
Thyme or Rosemary
Minced onion or Onion powder
How to make orange baked chicken
This healthy orange chicken recipe is easy to make and you only need to bast once towards the end of baking. Steps to make this easy orange baked chicken recipes are:
1) Pat the chicken dry and sprinkle the drumsticks with salt. Put them in a large bowl.
2) In a small bowl mix the orange juice, zest, paprika, black pepper, garlic, olive oil and ginger.
3) Pour¾ of the marinade over the chicken. Mix the other ¼ with honey and set aside.
4) Leave the chicken drumstick to marinate for 1 hour or more. It's better if you leave to marinate ovenight however take the chicken out of the fridge 20 -30 minutes to reach room temperature before baking in the oven.
5) Arrange marinated chicken on baking sheet lined tray. Place the orange slices/ wedges on the chicken and put in the oven and bake at temperature of 200 C / 400F for 30 - 35 minutes.
6) Brush the chicken with the marinade/honey mixture and bake for another 5 -10 minutes.
7) Bring out of the oven and serve.
Best to marinate overnight.
You can use chicken thighs or wings for this recipe.
Pat the chicken dry before applying marinade
Frequently asked questions about orange baked Chicken
Can i make this recipe with skinless chicken?
Yes you can however adjust the baking time so it doesn't dry out.
Can i use Orange juice from carton?
Yes however freshly squeezed is best moreover you will need the zest and skin when baking to infuse more flavour.
Calories in this Orange baked chicken
One orange chicken drumstick contains approximately 190 Calories.
What to serve with:
How to store leftover orange chicken
You can refrigerate orange chicken drumsticks for up to 3 days.
You can also freeze for up to 3 months. To freeze, put in ziplock or freezer safe container and freeze.
When needed, bring out of the freezer and heat from frozen. You can heat in the microwave or oven.
Other delicious recipes on the blog:
Simple Orange Baked Chicken
- 10 pieces Chicken drumstick
- 1 Juice of 1 Orange freshly squeezed
- 1 Orange Sliced / wedges
- 1 tbsp Orange zest
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 thumbsize Ginger minced
- ¼ tspn Black pepper
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Honey
- Pat the chicken dry and sprinkle the drumsticks with salt. Put them in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the orange juice, zest, paprika, black pepper, olive oil, garlic and ginger.
- Pour ¾ of the marinade over the chicken making sure all parts are covered. Mix the remaining ¼ with honey and set aside.
- Leave the chicken drumsticks to marinate for one hour or more. It's better to marinate overnight however take the chicken out of the fridge 20 - 30 minutes to reach room temperature before baking in the oven.
- Arrange marinated chicken on baking sheet lined tray. Place the orange slices/wedges on the chicken and put in the oven to bake at temperature of 200 C / 400 F for 30 - 35 minutes.
- Brush the chicken with the marinade/honey mixture and bake for another 5 - 10 minutes.
- Bring out of the oven and serve.
Subscribe to the blog so you'll never miss a recipe. You'll receive free recipes delivered in your email. Also follow recipevibes on instagram and subscribe to Recipe vibes Youtube Channel for videos.