As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Instant pot fish recipe that is easy, quick, tender and delicious. This pressure cooker fish cooks in less than 5 minutes and can be cooked whole or cut into fillet, fresh or frozen. Let me show you how to make juicy fish in pressure cooker.
Aside instant pot salmon, this is one of my favourite ways of eating fish. Whole fish served with plantain, roast potatoes or mashed potatoes, pepper sauce and vegetables like instant pot carrots. If you like fish, this is about to be your favourite instant pot whole fish recipe. You can make this whole or cut into fillet, skin on or skin off (my daughter no 1 does not like fish skin so i take it off hers). I like to use croaker or tilapia for this recipe but you can use other types of fish that i’ve listed below in the ingredient list.
INSTANT POT FISH RECIPE
For this recipe, I have used tilapia. Skin on, bone in, the whole fish however you can use other types of fish that have similar cooking time with tilapia and some of these are croaker, sea bass and catfish.
I use my instant pot duo 7 in 1 6 quart but you can make it in any other brand of electric pressure cooker like ninja foodie, pressure king pro and others (cooking time in other brand of pressure cooker may vary). The IP 6 quart fits two small whole fish at a time to serve 2. I like making fish in instant pot because
It cuts cooking time in more than half of making it in the oven.
It’s convenient and less mess.
No smell while cooking.
The texture is amazing and fish comes out delicious.
Can be cooked in IP from frozen.
I get consistent result. No guessing cooking time.
Detailed ingredients list and directions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Fish – Small whole fish that will fit in the instant pot ( I used small size tilapia and fitted 2 in 6 quart instant pot) or fish cut in fillet.
Stock cube – One small cube for flavour. I like to use maggi star
Cayenne pepper or black pepper
Oil – Vegetable, sunflower or olive oil
HOW TO MAKE FISH IN INSTANT POT
Clean, pat dry and make 2 slashes in the fish.(If using frozen, rinse the ice glaze off)
Mix oil, paprika,thyme, onion powder, ginger, stock cube, black pepper, salt and oil together to form the marinade.
Rub fresh or frozen fish with the marinade ensuring the inside and all parts are well covered.
Pour water in the pot of the instant pot pressure cooker, then place trivet in the pot.
Arrange marinated fish in single file on the trivet.
Close the instant pot with it’s lid and turn the vent to sealing position. Set to manual pressure cook high and after the cook time, do a quick release.
When the IP is depressurised and safe to open, take off the lid and take out the cooked fish.
Serve and enjoy or move to the next step for crisp skin.
Put fish in oven tray and grill at 220C for 6 minutes or till crisp. Take out of oven, serve and enjoy.
HOW TO COOK INSTANT POT FROZEN FISH
Rinse fish under warm water to deglaze the ice. Apply marinade inside and all over the fish. Pressure cook for 6 minutes then do a quick release.
For crisp skin, put in oven tray and grill in the oven at 220C for 6 minutes or till crisp.
WHAT TO SERVE FISH WITH
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
INSTANT POT FISH COOK TIME
When making this recipe from fresh fish, pressure cook on high for 4 minutes then quick release and if cooking from frozen, pressure cook on manual high for 6 minutes then quick release. Note that it takes about 10 minutes for instant pot to come to pressure.
HOW TO KNOW IF FISH IS COOKED
The inside of the fish will become opaque and will gently flake. To check this, pull up with fork to check the inside.
HOW TO STORE
To store leftover, leave to cool completely before putting in airtight container or freezer bags, label and store in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES
Instant Pot Fish
- Instant pot pressure cooker
- 2 Whole Fish Tilapia, croaker, sea beam or catfish
- 1 tablespoon Smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/2- 1 teaspoon Cayenne or black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger
- 1 small Stock cube
- 2 tablespoon Oil vegetable, sunflower or olive oil
- 1 cup Water
- Clean, pat dry and make 2 slashes in the fish (If using frozen fish, rinse the ice glaze off).
- Mix oil, paprika,thyme, onion powder, ginger, stock cube, black pepper, salt and oil together to form the marinade.
- Rub fresh or frozen whole fish with the marinade ensuring the inside and all parts are well covered.
- Pour water in the pot of the instant pot pressure cooker, then place trivet in the pot. Arrange marinated fish in single file on the trivet.
- Close the instant pot with it’s lid and turn the vent to sealing position. Set to manual pressure cook high 4 minutes and after the cook time, do a quick release.If using frozen fish, pressure cook for 6 minutes followed by quick release.
- When the IP is depressurised and safe to open, take off the lid and take out the cooked fish.Serve and enjoy or move to the next step for crisp skin
- Put fish in oven tray and grill at 220C for 6 minutes or till crisp. Take out serve and enjoy.
If you make this recipe, rate it and leave comment below. I love reading from you.
Don’t want to miss a thing? Subscribe to the blog for free weekly recipes in your email. Also follow recipe vibes on instagram and pinterest. For video recipes, subscribe to recipe vibes Youtube channel.