Instant pot fish recipe (frozen cod, haddock, halibut, white fish, whole fish, any fish) that is easy, and quick. This pressure cooker fish cooks in less than 5 minutes and can be cooked whole, fillet or loins, fresh, or frozen. This instant pot fish recipes post includes how to cook frozen cod in instant pot and for whole steamed fish.
Aside from instant pot salmon, these are my favorite ways of cooking fish. Whole fish or steamed cod fish served with plantain, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, pepper sauce, and vegetables like instant pot carrots.
This is about to be your favorite instant pot whole fish and instant pot cod fish recipe. Yes, it's a 2 in 1 recipe post.
You can make fish in pressure cooker whole or cut into fillet, skin on or skin off (my daughter no 1 does not like fish skin so I use boneless skinless cod or haddock for her).
When making it whole, I like to use croaker, mackerel, or tilapia but you can use other types of fish that I've listed below in the ingredient list.
Instant Pot Fish Recipe (Frozen Cod, Halibut)
For the instant pot cod fish recipe, I used boneless skinless frozen cod and I have used tilapia skin on, bone-in, for the whole fish however you can use other types of fish that have similar cooking time with tilapia and some of these are croaker, haddock, sea bass, pollock, and catfish.
I use my instant pot duo 7 in 1 6 quarts but you can make it in any other brand of electric pressure cooker like ninja foodie, pressure king pro, and others (cooking time for other brands of pressure cooker may vary). The IP 6 quart fits two small whole fish or fillets at a time to serve 2.
I like making fish in instant pot because it cuts cooking time in more than half of making it in the oven. It's convenient and less messy.
No smell while cooking, the texture is amazing and it comes out delicious.
These instant pot fish recipes make use of few ingredients and the fish comes out flavorful, flaky, tender, and delicious.
By making fish in instant pot, you get consistent results all the time and no guessing cooking time.
Detailed ingredients list and directions are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Fish - Small whole fish that will fit in the instant pot or frozen cod fish cut in fillet. You can also use haddock, any white fish, mackerel, halibut, pollock.
Stock cube - One small cube for flavor. I like to use Maggi star.
Cayenne pepper or black pepper
Oil - Vegetable, sunflower, or olive oil
How To Cook Fish in Instant Pot
Clean, pat dry and make 2 slashes in the fish (If using frozen, rinse the ice glaze off).
Mix oil, paprika, thyme, onion powder, ginger, stock cube, black pepper, salt, and oil together to form the marinade.
Rub fresh or frozen fish with the marinade ensuring the inside and all parts are well covered.
Pour water in the pot of the instant pot pressure cooker, then place the trivet in the pot.
Arrange marinated fish in a single file on the trivet.
Close the instant pot with its lid and turn the vent to a sealing position. Set to manual pressure cook high and after the cooking time, do a quick release.
When the IP is depressurized and safe to open, take off the lid and take out the cooked fish.
Serve and enjoy or move to the next step for crisp skin.
Put fish in oven tray and grill at 220C for 6 minutes or till crisp. Take out of the oven, serve and enjoy.
Instant Pot Frozen Fish (Cod, Halibut, Haddock, White Fish)
To cook frozen fish in the instant, there is no need to thaw first. Just follow the easy steps below:
Rinse cod fish or haddock, halibut under warm water to deglaze the ice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper or apply fish marinade all over the fish.
Pour a cup of water into the instant pot then place a trivet in it.
Arrange the seasoned frozen cod on the trivet.
Close the instant pot with its lid, turn the knob into sealing position and pressure cook for 3 minutes then do a quick release.
For crisp skin, you can put it in oven tray and grill in the oven at 220C for 2-3 minutes or till crisp (I don't bother with this step).
Serve and enjoy.
What To Serve With
How Long To Cook Fish in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
How long to pressure cook fish varies on if it's fillet, whole, bone in , skin on, and the sizes. Below is a simple guide:
For fresh fish or thawed fish, pressure cook on high for 2 minutes then quick release.
If cooking frozen cod in instant pot, pressure cook on manual high for 3 minutes then do a quick release. Note that it takes about 5-10 minutes for the instant pot to come to pressure. This is the same cooking time for haddock, pollock, or any white fish.
For bone-in skin-on whole fish, cooking time is 6 minutes pressure cooking followed by a quick release.
So generally instant pot steamed fish takes between 2 -6 minutes of cooking time.
HOW TO KNOW IF FISH IS COOKED
The inside of the fish will become opaque and will gently flake. To check this, pull up with a fork to check the inside.
How To Store
To store leftover, leave to cool completely before putting in an airtight container or freezer bags, label and store in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
You can use leftovers in curries, soups, salads, sandwiches, wraps, and more.
- Deglaze before sprinkling with salt and pepper or seasoning.
- Don't stack the fish. Arrange on the trivet in a single layer.
- Cooking time varies on the size of the fish so you might have to adjust time accordingly.
More Instant Pot Recipes
This post was first published in January 2020, Updated in October 2021 to include the cod recipe, extra tips, more pictures, and information.
Instant Pot Fish (Frozen Cod, Halibut)
- Instant pot pressure cooker
- 2 Fish whole or fillets Cod, Haddock, Tilapia, croaker, sea beam or catfish
- 1 tablespoon Smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- ½- 1 teaspoon Cayenne or black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Ginger
- 1 small Stock cube
- 2 tablespoon Oil vegetable, sunflower or olive oil
- 1 cup Water
- Clean, pat dry and make 2 slashes in the fish (If using frozen fish, rinse the ice glaze off).
- Mix oil, paprika,thyme, onion powder, ginger, stock cube, black pepper, salt and oil together to form the marinade.
- Rub fresh or frozen whole fish with the marinade ensuring the inside and all parts are well covered.
- Pour water in the pot of the instant pot pressure cooker, then place trivet in the pot. Arrange marinated fish in single file on the trivet.
- Close the instant pot with it’s lid and turn the vent to sealing position. Set to manual pressure cook high 4 minutes and after the cook time, do a quick release.If using frozen fish, pressure cook for 6 minutes followed by quick release.
- When the IP is depressurised and safe to open, take off the lid and take out the cooked fish.Serve and enjoy or move to the next step for crisp skin
- Put fish in oven tray and grill at 220C for 6 minutes or till crisp. Take out serve and enjoy.
INSTANT POT FROZEN COD
- Rinse cod fish or haddock under warm water to deglaze the ice.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper or apply fish marinade all over the fish. Pour a cup of water into the instant pot then place a trivet in it.
- Arrange the seasoned frozen cod on the trivet.Close the instant pot with its lid, turn the knob into sealing position and pressure cook for 3 minutes then do a quick release.
If you make this instant pot fish recipe, rate it and leave a comment below. I love reading from you.
Don’t want to miss a thing? Subscribe to the blog for free weekly recipes in your email. Also follow recipe vibes on instagram and pinterest. For video recipes, subscribe to recipe vibes Youtube channel.