As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Easy baked chicken wings recipe that is simple, quick to make, and just perfect. These oven baked crispy chicken wings are juicy, tender and moist on the inside with golden crisp skin. They are flavorful, delicious, and can be served as appetizers or side dish.
Chicken wings are like the best part of the chicken. Like I mentioned in my instant pot chicken wings post, they and baked chicken legs are my favorites. They are cheap, perfect for hosting, as appetizers, game nights, as side dish to other foods or even as the main dish.
These oven baked wings are so good and simple to make. Packed full of flavor, golden brown crisp skin and tender and juicy inside. Learn how to make baked chicken wings from scratch with this step by step guide plus video.
Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
These oven baked wings are coated in a flavorful dry rub and baked to golden perfection. I have detailed the ingredients for the rub but feel free to use any good rub like this homemade jerk seasoning which takes less than 5 minutes to put together, to this bbq rub that is great on poultry or use any of your favorite rubs be it homemade or store-bought.
With crispy baked chicken wings, you don’t have to watch over it while cooking like you would with frying. No babysitting at all! Just set the oven timer and you can go do something else while the chicken bakes.
These easy baked chicken wings recipe is healthier than frying. They are packed full of protein and healthy with suggested serving for this recipe just 225 calories of which 17g is protein.
You can customize to suit your diet. Be it low carb, keto, or low fat. These are simply the best baked chicken wings recipe!
The detailed ingredient list and direction are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Baking powder- This is optional but it gives crispy baked chicken wings. Do not use baking soda! They don’t work the same. Use baking powder for this recipe.
Garlic granules- You can substitute with garlic powder.
Cayenne or Black pepper – Adjust the quantity to how spicy you want the chicken.
Bouillon cube – This is optional but I sometimes add for flavor.
Olive Oil – You can replace with vegetable or sunflower oil.
How to Bake Chicken Wings
Cut – If the wings are not already cut, then cut them. To cut the chicken wings, find the joints, and use kitchen scissors to cut through the center of each joint, you then have three parts: the Drumette, the flat and the tip. Discard the tips and use the drumettes and flats or use whole chicken wings without cutting if you prefer.
Season – Pat the wings dry with a kitchen towel then add the baking powder, black or cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic granules, onion powder, parsley and salt. Mix well.
Marinate for 60 minutes if you have the time and if not move on to the next step.
Bake – Place a wire rack on an oven tray then arrange the chicken wings on the tray in a single layer. Put the tray in the oven and bake at a temperature of 400F/ 200C for 25 minutes.
After the 25 minutes, bring the chicken out, use a tong to turn the wings to the other side, put back in the oven, and bake for another 20 minutes.
Serve – Bring chicken out of the oven and leave to rest for 5 minutes then serve and enjoy or toss in any sauce of choice before serving.
Buffalo chicken wings – After bringing out of the oven and resting it for 5 minutes, add buffalo sauce to the wings. I will be making a separate post for buffalo wings but in the meantime check my instant pot wings post on how to make buffalo sauce at home.
Honey Soy wings – After resting the wings for 5 minutes, toss them in sweet, spicy, and sticky honey soy sauce. Check my honey soy chicken wings recipe post for the detailed recipe.
Bbq Chicken wings – This is another variation that is one of my favorites. Add bbq sauce to the wings and mix. By the way, I have the best homemade bbq sauce recipe. Check it out to make yours or you can use store-bought bbq sauce.
What to serve with Baked Chicken Wings
You can serve with rice sides, potatoes, vegetables, and loads more. Some recommendations of foods you can serve with are
If eating on its own as appetizers you can serve with dipping sauces like ranch dressing, barbeque sauce, sriracha sauce, marinara sauce, or any sauce of your choice.
How to Store Baked Chicken Wings
To store leftovers, leave to cool and put in an airtight container or freezer bags then store in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat in the oven from frozen, place the wings on an oven tray and heat in the oven at a temperature of 350F for 15 minutes or till heated.
Reheat in the microwave – Put in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high for 2 minutes or till heated through.
Tips and How to make Chicken Wings Crispy
- Pat dry with a kitchen towel before adding the dry rub.
- You can use your choice of dry rub whether homemade or storebought but use a good one.
- Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes if you have the time.
- Line the oven tray with parchment paper or foil for easy clean up of the oven tray after baking.
- Place wings on a wire rack on top of the oven tray to avoid them being in juice from baking.
- For crispy baked chicken wings, add the baking powder.
- You can bake the chicken in air fryer oven.
- Adjust oven temperature depending on if using a fan oven or conventional oven but bake on high heat for crispy skin.
- If not sure if the chicken is cooked through and safe to eat, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. If it’s at least 165F/75C, it is safe to eat.
- You can double this recipe but ensure the wings are not piled on each other on the tray. Line them in a single layer.
How long to bake chicken wings at 400
It takes 45 minutes at a temperature of 400F/ 200C for crispy skin and moist and tender inside.
At what temperature are chicken wings done?
If the internal temperature is at least 165F, it is safe to eat.
How long does it take to cook 1kg of chicken wings
It takes 45 minutes if baked at a 400F / 200C oven temperature.
How do you get a dry rub to stick to wings
By coating the wings with oil. Add oil and spice rub to the chicken and mix well. The oil will ensure the rub sticks.
More easy chicken recipes on the blog
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do. If you find this post helpful, rate it 5 stars and leave me a comment below. I love reading from you.
Want more delicious recipes?
Easy Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
- Oven tray
- Wire rack
- 2lb (1kg) Chicken Wings
- 1/2 tablespoon Paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic granules
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon Parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne or Black pepper or to taste
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil or Sunflower or Vegetable oil
- 5 g Bouillon cube optional
- Salt to taste
- If the wings are not already cut, then cut them. To cut the chicken wings, find the joints, and use kitchen scissors to cut through the center of each joint, you then have three parts: the Drumette, the flat and the tip. Discard the tips and use the drumettes and flats or use whole chicken wings without cutting if you prefer.
- Pat the wings dry with a kitchen towel then add the baking powder, black pepper, paprika, garlic granules, onion powder, parsley and salt. Mix well.Marinate for 60 minutes if you have the time and if not move on to the next step.
- Place a wire rack on an oven tray then arrange the chicken wings on the tray in a single layer. Put the tray in the oven and bake at a temperature of 400F for 25 minutes. After the 25 minutes, bring the chicken out, use a tong to turn the wings to the other side, put back in the oven, and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Bring chicken out of the oven and leave to rest for 5 minutes then serve and enjoy or toss in a sauce of choice before serving.