As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Simple whole roasted chicken! Crispy skin, moist, juicy and packed full of flavour. This super tasty, simple roast chicken recipe is easy and will make the perfect roast chicken for your weeknight dinners, sunday roast and special occassions. This recipe can also be used for thanksgiving turkey and christmas turkey.
Simple Roasted Chicken
If you’re looking for the best recipe for simple roast chicken, this is it! This simple roast chicken recipe requires minimal effort and you get great tasting chicken. Whole roasted chicken should never be bland or dry if done right. You do not have to brine chicken for days to get juicy chicken. Infact, this recipe is no brine roast chicken recipe. Let me show you how i make the perfect roast chicken.
Just before we move on, below are some important tips for making perfect whole roasted chicken:
- Always pat chicken dry before marinating.
- Marinate whole chicken for atleast 1 hour before roasting. You can marinate up to 48 hours (the longer the better).
- Don’t crowd the cavity with stuffing because this can result in uneven cooking.
- Don’t forget to tie chicken legs together before roasting.
- Baste with chicken juice from the tray at least once during cooking process.
- Remember to let the chicken rest for 10 – 15 minutes before carving it.
Ingredients for simple whole roasted chicken
For this whole roasted chicken recipe, you’ll need the below ingredients (full list and recipe in recipe card at the end of this post) :
For Marinade :
Simple Chicken marinade – This simple chicken marinade will give you the juicest chicken ever and it’s easy and quick to make. click the link to get the recipe.
Stuffing for whole roasted chicken :
Stuffing whole chicken is optional however ingredients like onions and rosemary add extra flavour to the meat from within. The stuffing used in this recipe are :
How to marinate whole chicken
You’ll want to make sure chicken is well marinated. Ensure you get the marinade all over and inside the chicken.
1)Pat the chicken dry and rub salt all over and in the chicken cavity.
2) Rub butter all over the chicken.
3) Pour simple chicken marinade on the chicken and rub all over and in the chicken cavity making sure every part of the chicken is well covered with marinade.
4) Stuff chicken with onion, carrot, rosemary and orange then tie the legs together with twine or string.
5) Put chicken in the fridge to marinate. If you brined the chicken, leave to marinate for 30 minutes and if not it’s best to marinate for atleast 1 hour up to 48 hours (the longer the better but don’t exceed 48 hours in the fridge).
How to make whole chicken in the oven
1) Preheat oven to 200C / 400F for 10 minutes.
2) Place whole chicken on oven tray (breast side up) and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
3) Bring chicken out after 30 minutes and baste with marinade, cover loosely with foil and return chicken to the oven.
4) Bake for another 30 minutes. Bring out of the oven and remove the foil then baste one more time with the juice in the tray from the chicken.
5) Put back in the oven and broil for another 30 minutes.
6) Bring out of the oven and leave roast chicken to rest for 10- 15 minutes before carving.
How long to bake whole chicken in the oven
It takes between 1 to 2 hours depending on the size of the chicken. As a guide, chicken is cooked when the juices run clear, the skin is crispy, golden and the internal temperature is atleast 165 F. Check internal temperature of the chicken with meat thermometer to ensure it’s done.
For this recipe, 2kg chicken was used for this recipe and it took 1.5 hours to cook at 200C / 400F oven temperature.
What to serve simple whole roasted chicken with
How to store roasted Chicken
Leftover roasted chicken can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months. Carve out the chicken and wrap or put in airtight container before storing in the fridge or freezer.
If you have leftover thanksgiving turkey / chicken or christmas turkey / chicken, there are many delicious recipes you can make with it. I have listed few below.
More chicken recipes on the blog
Simple Whole Roasted Chicken
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 1 Simple Chicken Marinade recipe link in notes
- 1 Onion
- 2 medium Carrots
- 1 Orange cut in 2 or 4
- 1 sprig Rosemary or thyme
- Pat the chicken dry and rub salt all over and in the chicken cavity.
- Rub butter all over the chicken.
- Pour simple chicken marinade on the chicken and rub all over and in the chicken making sure every part of the chicken is well covered with marinade.
- Stuff chicken with whole onion, carrot, rosemary and orange then tie the legs together with twine or string.
- Put chicken in the fridge to marinate. If you brined the chicken, leave to marinate for 30 minutes and if not it's best to marinate for atleast 1 hour up to 48 hours (the longer the better but don't exceed 48 hours in the fridge).
- Place whole chicken on oven tray (breast side up) and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Bring chicken out after 30 minutes and baste with marinade, cover with foil and return to the oven. Bake for another 30 minutes.
- Bring out of the oven and remove the foil then baste one more time with the juice in the tray from the chicken.
- Put back in the oven and broil for another 30 minutes. Bring chicken out of the oven and leave roast chicken to rest for 10 – 15 minutes before carving.