This homemade spaghetti and meatballs sauce recipe made with few ingredients is easy, quick and super delicious. Ready in 20 minutes, it makes for great family dinner.
Tasty, delicious meatballs cooked in tomato sauce, served over finely cooked spaghetti and topped with a sprinkle of parmesan. Sounds delicious? It is indeed delicious. It's also easy and quick to make and makes good weeknight dinner. We love it and believe you'll also love this spaghetti and meatballs sauce recipe.
Why we love this dish
It's quick to make.
It's homemade and homemade is best.
Quality without breaking the bank
Delicious - oh did i already mention that? It really is super delicious!
Ingredients for Spaghetti and meatballs
For this recipe you will need the below ingredients (Full ingredient list, recipe and video in recipe card at the end of the post however make sure to read all the post so as not to miss out vital information)
Meatballs - Check my post on Easy homemade meatballs
Tomatoes - Fresh or Canned
Vegetable oil - or Sunflower or Olive oil
Parmesan or Parmigiano Regggiano
How to make Spaghetti and meatballs
This spaghetti and meatballs sauce is cooked in two pots. You cook the meatballs sauce in a pot and the spaghetti in a seperate pot. The meatballs sauce is then served on spaghetti and top with some parmesan. You can also add in cooked spaghetti into the meatballs sauce if you prefer.
How to make Meatballs sauce
1) In a pot, add vegetable oil then add chopped garlic and onions. Saute for 3 minutes before adding canned tomatoes.
2) Add in cayenne pepper, Italian seasoning, bouillion cube and salt. Stir and leave to cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
3) Add in homemade meatballs, stir and let it simmer for 10 minutes before adding chopped basil leaves.
4) Take off heat and that's meatballs sauce ready.
How to cook Spaghetti
1) In a pot add water and leave to boil before adding vegetable oil and spaghetti. Leave to cook for 10 minutes or according to the packet instruction.
2) Drain and serve.
3) Serve meatballs sauce on spaghetti.
Check this detailed recipe on how to boil spaghetti
4) Sprinkle parmesan on top (Optional)
What to serve with meatballs sauce aside Spaghetti
The meatballs sauce is versatile and can be served on other tyes of pasta. You can also serve it with potatoes, noodles,
Tips for cooking Spaghetti
Add a tablespoon of oil so spaghetti doesn't stick together.
Leave the pot uncovered while boiling spaghetti.
Wait till water starts boiling before adding in Spaghetti.
Frequently asked questions
How long to cook Spaghetti?
Usually about 10 minutes for aldente spaghetti however cooking times vary per brands so follow instructions on packet.
Can i add sugar in the meatballs sauce?
Yes you can. It gives the sauce slight sweetness. I personally don't.
How to Store Leftover meatballs Sauce
In the fridge - Meatballs sauce can be stored in the fridge for 3 - 4 days.
In the freezer - Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Put in freezer safe container or freezer bag, label with dates before putting in the freezer.
To reheat - Leave to thaw then reheat or microwave from frozen on high heat.
Other Pasta recipes on the blog :
Easy Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 500g Spaghetti
- 20 medium Meatballs
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 400g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne or black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 Bouillion cube
- ⅛ cup Fresh basil chopped
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Parmesan cheese optional
How to Cook Meatball Sauce
- In a pot, add vegetable oil then add chopped garlic and onions. Saute for 3 minutes before adding canned tomatoes.
- Add in cayenne pepper, Italian seasoning, bouillion cube and salt. Leave to cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add in homemade meatballs, stir and let it simmer for 10 minutes before adding chopped basil leaves.
- Take off heat and that's meatballs sauce ready.
How to Cook Spaghetti
- In a pot add water and leave to boil before adding vegetable oil and spaghetti. Leave to cook for 10 minutes or according to the packet instruction.
- Drain and serve.
Spaghetti and meatballs
- Serve meatballs sauce on spaghetti.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan (Optional)
- Enjoy warm
Love this recipe? Rate it below and leave a comment. If you make it we'd love to see! tag @recipevibes on instagram. Also if you don’t want to miss any of my recipe, Subscribe to the blog for free weekly recipes in your email.