This instant pot tilapia is packed full of flavor and served in warming, delicious broth. It is easy to make and cooks in under 10 minutes. This is one instant pot fish soup recipe to keep and let me warn you, it's about to be one of your favourites.
Aside from the tilapia instant pot fish recipe i shared last week, this is another way we enjoy tilapia. Steamed in spices and herbs to create tender fish, flavourful, rich and spicy soup. This method of cooking tilapia is called fish pepper soup in West African countries. It is not only tasty, it's popular for it's benefits like being great for recovering appetite after illness, relieve of cold and flu symptoms, after birth cleanse soup for new mums amongst others. The fish is typically served with the broth but you can eat the fish on it's own if you prefer. You can also add in potatoes for a filling meal. This is one of the easiest tilapia recipes and one of the most delicious. Let me show you how to make this instant pot tilapia / instant pot fish soup.
INSTANT POT TILAPIA RECIPE
For this recipe, I have used tilapia with skin on, bone in, head, tail and all but you can use any part of the tilapia and other types of fish that have similar cooking time with tilapia such as catfish, hake, white fish, red beam and croacker.
This recipe was made with my instant pot duo 7 in 1 6 quart but you can make it in any other brand of electric pressure cooker like ninja foodie, pressure king pro and others (cooking time in other brand of pressure cooker may vary).
Detailed ingredients list and directions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Tilapia - You can use any other type of fish.
Stock cubes – For flavour. I like to use maggi star.
Basil - Dried or fresh or combination of both.
Oil – Vegetable, sunflower or olive oil
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT TILAPIA (FISH SOUP)
Step 1: Gut, clean and cut tilapia into fillets.
2) Add tilapia fillets in the instant pot then add in all the other ingredients.
3) Add water in the pot. Lift pot and lightly shake to make sure the ingredients dissolve in the water.
4) Cover instant pot with it's lid, turn the vent into 'sealing' and set instant pot to manual pressure cook on high for 4 minutes.
5) When the 4 minutes is done, do 2 minutes natural pressure release.
6) When the instant pot is depressurised, open the instant pot.
6) Serve and enjoy Instant pot tilapia fish soup.
CAN I USE FROZEN TILAPIA FISH?
Yes but rinse fish under warm water to deglaze the ice and pressure cook for 6-7 minutes instead of 4 minutes.
WHAT TO SERVE TILAPIA WITH
It can be eaten on it's own the way my huband likes it or served with sides like recommended below the way i and my daughters like it:
Bread- check out my easy bread recipe
- Leave the fish in the water and spice marinade for about 30 minutes before cooking (if you have the time).
- The longer the tilapia fish in the cooked broth, the more flavourful. You can leave it in the instant pot for 30 minutes or till when ready to eat you can then use the saute button to heat it up.
- Use as much cayenne pepper and black pepper according to how spicy you want the broth.
HOW TO STORE
Leave to cool completely, put in airtight container, label and store
in the fridge – It will last for up to 3 days.
in the freezer – It would last for up to 6 months. It’s best to portion per serving so you can bring out when needed, defrost, re heat and enjoy.
OTHER INSTANT POT FISH RECIPES
Easy instant pot salmon
MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES
Hope you love this recipe as much as i do. If you do make it, rate it and leave comment below.
Instant Pot Tilapia
- Instant pot pressure cooker
- 4 Tilapia fillets
- 1 tablespoon Ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 Clove
- 1.5 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 2 sprig Fresh basil chopped
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 small Stock cubes
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups Water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon peppersoup spice
- 200g Potatoes peeled and cubed
- Gut, clean and cut tilapia into fillets.
- Add tilapia fillets in the instant pot then add in all the other ingredients.
- Add water in the pot. Lift pot and lightly shake to make sure the ingredients dissolve in the water.
- Cover instant pot with it's lid, turn the vent into 'sealing' and set instant pot to manual pressure cook on high for 4 minutes.
- When the 4 minutes is done, do 2 minutes natural pressure release.
- When the instant pot is depressurised, open the instant pot.
- Serve and enjoy Instant pot tilapia fish soup.
Want more? Check out these chicken recipes