Instant pot orange chicken recipe so flavorful, sweet and delicious. This pressure cooker orange chicken is ready in less than 20 minutes, healthier and better than takeout. Let me show you a step by step guide of how to make flavourful, tender, orange chicken in pressure cooker.
Chicken covered in sweet, citrus sauce on side like rice is amazing and that's how we like it! My daughters love chicken and rice dishes and this orange chicken which is my version of orange chicken, a popular chinese takeaway is the absolute best. Orange chicken is one of the quick meals you can make when you want to get dinner ready in short amount of time. It's one of our favourite chinese chicken and this recipe is exactly how i like it. Other chicken favourites of ours include instant pot chicken curry, instant pot butter chicken, instant pot chicken drumsticks amongst others. Do check those recipes out before leaving they are all so good!
This is a healthier version of orange chicken with less of the sugar but the same amazing taste you can expect of orange chicken. Are you thinking panda express? In UK we don't have panda express so it's not really a thing but when i visited US years ago i had some and this is so good and healthier.
WHY INSTANT POT ORANGE CHICKEN
- It's easy and quick to make that you can get it ready before any take out can be delivered.
- Homemade so no unnecessary ingredients added. You control what goes in it, how much sugar, pepper, salt and other ingredients you want in it and can make it healthier than take-out.
- Cheaper than buying takeaway.
- One pot dish so easy clean up.
INSTANT POT ORANGE CHICKEN RECIPE
One pot, almost dump and go recipe, this chinese orange chicken is made with chicken breasts but you can also use boneless chicken thighs. This recipe does not make use of egg, neither is it deep fried, it is made healthier than takeout chinese orange chicken without compromising on taste. This instant pot orange chicken is delicious, with the right amount of spicy and sweet. It's so easy to cook, quick and you can get it ready in under 20 minutes.. oh did i mention that already? ha!
I have used my instant pot 7 in 1 duo 6 quart for this recipe. You can use any other size of instant pot or any brand of electric pressure cooker however cooking time may vary. Below find ingredients, how to make orange chicken, what to serve with, tips, how to store and many more then get the video, directions and printable recipe in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Detailed ingredient list, directions and video in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Chicken - Boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs.
Orange juice - Freshly squeezed
Vegetable or Sunflower oil
Sriracha sauce or bbq sauce +pepper
HOW TO MAKE ORANGE ZEST
1)Wash whole orange.
2) Using a medium or fine grater, grate the skin till only the white pith of the orange is left over the skin. Avoid grating off the white part of the orange.
3) Scrape the grated peel into bowl.
Use the grated orange peel (zest) in the recipe.
CAN I USE CHICKEN THIGHS
Yes you can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. I've used both breast ang thighs for this recipe and it's the same cooking time. Cut into bite size and follow the directions below.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT ORANGE CHICKEN
This is almost a dump and go recipe that cooks in less than 30 minutes. Find below the simple steps:
Step 1 Put instant pot on saute
2) Add oil in the pot of the instant pot then add in chicken, onion, garlic and ginger.
3) Add in orange juice, orange zest, soy sauce, brown sugar and all other ingredients except cornflour.
4) Switch off saute button and deglaze the instant pot by scraping any bits off the bottom of the pot.
5) Cover instant pot with it's lid, turn the knob into sealing position and set to manual pressure cook on high for 5 minutes. After pressure 5 minutes pressure cooking, do a 5 minutes natural pressure release.
What is 5 minutes natural pressure release? This means you wait for five minutes after pressure cooking is done before turning the vent into venting to release the remaining pressure. For more IP terminologies check How to use instant pot
6) Once the instant pot is depressurised, open the lid and stir the content.
7) Set instant pot into saute then add cornflour slurry into the instant pot content.
8) Stir till sauce thickens then switch off instant pot.
Sweet, sticky, flavourful orange chicken is ready. Serve with sides of choice (recommendation below).
WHAT TO SERVE WITH ORANGE CHICKEN
- To avoid burn notice, make sure to deglaze the pot and that nothing is sticking to the bottom. Burn notice usually appears when there's bit stuck at the bottom or not enough liquid. The liquid specified in this recipe is right and won't give you burn notice.
- Cornstarch slurry is one part cornflour and one part water. Mix till smooth. If orange chicken is not thick enough like you'd like it, add more cornstarch/cornflour slurry till you get consistency you want. The sauce gets thicker as it sits so be be cautious.
- Replace water with orange juice to make the cornflour slurry
- Adjust sugar to your taste - i don't like it overly sweet and this recipe has taken that into account. Adjust sugar to taste.
- Use fresh orange zest and juice.
- You can use barbeque sauce plus cayenne pepper instead of sriracha sauce.
HOW TO STORE
To store orange chicken, leave to cool completely then put in airtight container or ziplock bags, label and store
in the fridge – It will last for up to 4 days.
in the freezer – It would last for up to 6 months. It’s best to portion per serving so you can bring out when needed, defrost, re heat and enjoy.
MORE INSTANT POT CHICKEN RECIPES
Hope you love this recipe as much we do. If you do make it, rate it and leave comment below.
Instant Pot Orange Chicken
- Instant pot pressure cooker
- 650g Chicken breast diced
- 1 cup Orange juice freshly squeezed
- 1 Orange zest of whole orange
- 3 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sesame oil
- I tablespoon Vegetable oil or sunflower oil
- 3 - 4 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Spring onions chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon Ginger minced
- 2 tablespoon Cornflour + 2 tablespoon water to make cornflour slurry
- Sesame seeds
- Spring onions chopped
- Put instant pot on saute.
- Add vegetable oil in the pot of the instant pot then add in chicken, onion, garlic and ginger.
- Add in orange juice, orange zest, soy sauce, brown sugar and all other ingredients except cornflour.
- Switch off saute button and deglaze the instant pot by scraping any bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Cover instant pot with it's lid, turn the knob into sealing position and set to manual pressure cook on high for 5 minutes. After pressure 5 minutes pressure cooking, do a 5 minutes natural pressure release.What is 5 minutes natural pressure release?
- Once the instant pot is depressurised, open the lid and stir the content.
- Set instant pot into saute then add cornflour slurry into the instant pot content. Stir till sauce thickens then switch off instant pot.
- Sweet, sticky, flavourful orange chicken is ready. Serve with sides of choice (recommendation below)
Want more? Check out these pasta recipes.