This Instant pot black beans recipe is one of the easiest instant pot beans recipe. It is packed full of flavor, protein and fibre. This pressure cooker black beans can be made vegan, mexican black beans stlye or plain. No instant pot? don't worry! I have included stovetop directions in this post.
Listen people, If the only reason you buy instant pot is for cooking beans, it is well worth it! Cooking beans in the instant pot pressure cooker is one of my greatest joy of having pressure cooker. Beans takes time to cook and cooking it in the instant pot is a total time and energy saver. If you read my post on curried black eyed beans, you'll know i did not like beans growing up and now that i cook and enjoy it i am thankful i can easily cook and get the full flavour with the use of my magic pot...hahaa.
Instant pot black beans recipe
This instant pot black beans recipe is no soak, no drain black beans recipe and it's very easy to make. I make it in my instant pot duo 7 in 1 6 quart but you can make this recipe in any brand of electric pressure cooker. I also included stovetop recipe for those that don't have instant pot. Below i have summarised what is black beans, ingredients for black beans, how to cook black beans in instant pot, stovetop, what to serve with, tips and how to store. Do read these important notes before getting the detailed ingredient list, directions and video in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
What is black beans
Black beans are small satiny shiny type of beans. They are also called turtle beans because of their hard skin and shape. Like the name implies the skin of black bean is black with white center. Black beans are high in protein, fibre and nutrients and popular in Latin American cooking. It is also popularly used in vegan and vegetarian recipes.
Black beans are sold in supermarkets and stores like cash and carry, international food stores and online stores like amazon.
Why i like instant pot black beans
- Easy and quicker than stovetop. It takes less of the time to cook beans in instant pot than stovetop. Instant pot literally cuts the cooking time in half.
- Better taste and texture - The instant pot use less water in cooking and locks in flavour and nutrients.
- It is inexpensive and cheaper to buying canned beans.
- Homemade so no unnecessary ingredients or preservatives added. One controls what goes in the beans.
- Smell is locked in the instant pot during cooking.
- Convenient and fool proof recipe so no guessing the time to cook for.
- I don’t have to stay around and watch over the pot like i would with stovetop. Once i dump the ingredients in the instant pot / pressure pot, i can go do something else and the instant pot do the cooking and beep when it’s done.
- I get perfectly cooked beans that is soft and creamy.
Ingredients for instant pot black beans
Detailed ingredients list and directions in printable recipe card at the end of this post.
Onion - Chopped
Garlic - minced
Ginger - Minced ginger or ground ginger works fine.
Cayenne pepper or chilli
Broth - Use vegetable stock for vegan black beans or Water.
Vegetable oil - Or sunflower oil, olive oil or similar cooking oil.
To soak or not to soak black beans
Soaking beans makes them soften and cook faster if cooking beans on stovetop but soaking beans is so not neccessary especially when using instant pot pressure cooker. No need to soak beans at all! I never do and my beans comes out perfect at all times. Not soaking beans doesn’t impact on taste. Just ensure the beans are stone and dirt free. Rinse beans with warm water once or twice before cooking and that's it. This is a no soak black beans recipe. Even for stovetop, i don't soak beans.
Black beans to water ratio
I tested instant pot black beans with different water ratio and the one i like best for soft and creamy beans is ratio 1:2 that is 1 cup of beans to 2 cups of water. So for example, if cooking 2 cups of beans, use 4 cups of water.
I tested ratio 1:3 that is 1 cup beans to 3 cups of water. I found it watery and i had to drain.
How to cook black beans in instant pot
1) Rinse beans in warm water.
2) Set the instant pot to sautee then add vegetable oil in the inner pot of the instant pot. Add in minced garlic and chopped onions then saute for few minutes.
3) Add ginger and chilli/cayenne pepper then cancel saute function of the instant pot.
4) Add broth or water in the instant pot and scrape to deglaze the instant pot then add salt and washed beans. Stir and cover instant pot with lid and set valve to 'sealing' position.
5) Set instant pot to manual pressure cook high for 50 minutes and when cooking time is done, leave to natural pressure release for 20 minutes.
6) Once instant pot is depressurised, open the lid and stir beans.
Serve and enjoy.
How to cook black beans on the stove
1) Rinse black beans with warm water.
2) In a pot, add vegetable oil then garlic and chopped onions. Sautee for 2 minutes before adding ginger and cayenne/chilli.
3) Add broth or water, salt and washed beans. Stir and cover the pot with lid.
4) Cook on medium heat for 90 minutes or till beans tender.
5) Take off heat and serve.
Tips for cooking instant pot black beans
- If using salt, add salt to beans from when it goes in the pot rather than when it’s cooked. This way the salt is evenly spread and absorbed by the beans.
- Don't forget to deglaze instant pot to avoid getting burn error.
- Cook in large batch and store for future use.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Calories in black beans
A cup of dry black beans has 662 calories. A cup of cooked black beans has 227 calories. I cup dried black beans makes approximately 3 cups cooked beans. Black beans are high in carbohydrates but are excellent source of fibre, protein and folate. Black beans is not keto.
How long to cook black beans in pressure cooker
For this recipe with the recommended beans to water ratio, it takes 50 minutes. For softer beans, it takes 55 minutes of pressure cooking with same water ratio.
What to eat with black beans
Black beans can be eaten on it's own as a meal or serve with
Rice like instant pot jasmine rice or instant pot basmati rice, long grain rice and other types of rice to make black beans and rice.
Black beans are great with chicken like instant pot chicken drumsticks
Roasted potatoes, tortilla chips, salads, tacos and much more.
How to store black beans
I like to batch cook beans and store for use for later time. It's just so convenient and comes in handy for quick meals. To store instant pot black beans, leave beans to cool completely, put in airtight container or freezer bags, label then store:
In the fridge – for up to 3 days.
In the freezer – for up to 3 months.
To reheat – reheat in the microwave from frozen or leave to thaw then reheat.
More instant pot recipes on the blog
Easy instant pot chicken wings
Instant Pot Black Beans
- Instant pot pressure cooker
- 2 Cups Black beans
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne/chilli
- 2 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 4 cups Broth or Water
- Salt to taste
- Rinse beans in warm water.
- Set the instant pot to sautee then add vegetable oil in the inner pot of the instant pot. Add in minced garlic and chopped onions then saute for few minutes.
- Add ginger and chilli/cayenne pepper then cancel saute function of the instant pot.
- Add broth or water in the instant pot and scrape to deglaze the instant pot then add salt and washed beans. Stir and cover instant pot with lid and set valve to 'sealing' position.
- Set instant pot to manual pressure cook high for 50 minutes and when cooking time is done, leave to natural pressure release for 20 minutes.
- Once instant pot is depressurised, open the lid and stir beans.
- Serve and Enjoy.
Don’t want to miss a thing? Subscribe to the blog for free weekly recipes in your email. Also follow recipe vibes on instagram and pinterest. Subscribe to recipe vibes Youtube channel for recipe videos.
If you try this recipe, rate it and leave comment below. I love reading from you!
Leave a Reply