As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Instant pot jasmine rice so fragrant and delicious. This is a simple step by step guide on how to cook pressure cooker jasmine rice and stovetop jasmine rice. This is the easiest instant pot jasmine rice recipe and it can be served with stir fries, stews, soups and curries.
What is Jasmine rice
Jasmine rice is a type of long grain rice that is fragrant, floral and nutty in flavor. Jasmine rice gets it’s name from Jasmine flower. It is native to Thailand and used in south asian cooking. Although fragrant, it is different to basmati rice. Jasmine rice has stickier texture when cooked than other types of rice while basmati rice comes out with seperate grains.
Instant Pot jasmine rice recipe
Making instant pot jasmine rice in instant pot is easy and convenient. It’s also quick as it only takes 4 minutes of pressure cooking. With instant pot jasmine rice, you don’t have to watch over the pot like with stovetop. Put everything in the instant pot pressure cooker and you can go do something else while the instant pot does it’s thing. When done, the instant pot beeps to alert you.
This instant pot jasmine rice recipe was made in my instant pot duo 6 quart but you can make it in any other electric pressure cooker.
INGREDIENTS FOR JASMINE RICE
Detailed list, recipe and video in recipe card at the end of this post.
Just 3 ingrediens are required to make soft, fragrant jasmine rice and they are as follow:
How to rinse Jasmine rice
It’s important to note that you should not soak jasmine rice. You only need to rinse it till water runs clear before cooking. Steps for washing are:
- Measure rice in a bowl and add warm water. Rinse and drain.
- Repeat above step at least 2 more times or till water run clears.
- Drain rice and it’s ready to be cooked.
How to make jasmine rice in instant pot
1) Wash the rice till water runs clear then add rice in the inner pot of the instant pot pressure cooker.
2) Add water and salt then cover the pot safely with it’s lid. Turn the valve into sealing position.
3) Set instant pot to manual pressure cook 4 minutes and when done, do 10 minutes natural pressure release.
4) When instant pot is depressurised, open the instant pot pressure cooker.
5) Fluff rice and serve.
How to make Jasmine rice on the stove
Follow these 4 easy steps to cooking perfect Jasmine rice on stovetop
1) Wash rice till water runs clear.
2) Add rice, water and salt in a pot then cover pot with lid.
3) Cook on medium heat for 20 minutes or till cooked.
5) Take off heat and fluff with fork.
Serve and enjoy.
CALORIES IN JASMINE RICE
1 Cup of uncooked jasmine rice has 640 calories while 1 cup cooked jasmine rice has 218 calories. 1 cup of dry jasmine rice gives approximately 3 cups cooked. Most of the calories in jasmine rice are from carbohydrates.
Water to rice ratio for Jasmine rice
I use ratio 1:1 for instant pot jasmine rice, that is 1 cup of rice to 1 cup of water and ratio 1:1.5 for stovetop jasmine rice that is 1 cup rice and 1.5 cups water.
COOK TIME FOR JASMINE RICE
For instant pot, cook time is 4 minutes high pressure and 10 minutes natural pressure release and for stovetop jasmine rice, cook time is 25 minutes.
Tips for cooking Jasmine rice
- Rinse rice well till water runs clear. This process is important to get rid of excess starch.
- Add salt to rice from when it goes in the pot rather than when it’s cooked. This way the salt is evenly spread and absorbed by the rice.
- Use good brand of Jasmine rice.
- You can add onion and oil to Jasmine rice – I personally keep it simple for white rice.
What goes with jasmine rice
I like to pair jasmine rice with stir fries, stews, soups and curries like:
How to store Jasmine rice
Jasmine rice is best eaten same day however if you have need to store leftover jasmine rice, leave to cool completely before putting in airtight container or freezer bags, label and store in the fridge for up to 3 – 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, add in a pan, add some water and steam. If heating in microwave, put a cup of water in the microwave to prevent rice from drying out.
More instant pot rice recipes on the blog
Don’t want to miss a thing? Subscribe to the blog for free weekly recipes in your email. Also follow recipe vibes on instagram and pinterest. For video recipes, subscribe to recipe vibes Youtube channel.
Instant Pot Jasmine Rice
- Instant pot pressure cooker
- 2 cups Jasmine rice
- 2 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil or coconut oil optional
- Wash the rice till water runs clear then add rice in the inner pot of the instant pot pressure cooker.
- Add water and salt then cover the pot with it's lid. Turn the valve into sealing position.
- Set instant pot to manual pressure cook 4 minutes and when done, do 10 minutes natural pressure release.
- When instant pot is depressurised, open the instant pot pressure cooker.
- Fluff rice and serve.
If you try this recipe, rate it and leave comment below. I love reading from you!