As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Shrimp stew that is warming, comforting and super delicious. This recipe is easy and quick to make, cooks in less than 25 minutes, makes use of few ingredients and perfect served on rice, pasta or soaked up with warm bread for a weeknight meal.
Let me show you how to make easy shrimp stew recipe that the whole family would love.
Shrimp remains one of my favourite seafood. I just love cooking with it and eating it ofcourse. I’ve shared some shrimp recipes like my garlic butter shrimp pasta, instant pot shrimp, shrimp fried spaghetti and now i’m giving you this easy and quick shrimp stew recipe to add to your favourite recipes list.
I almost always have deveined frozen shrimp in my freezer. Easy and quick to thaw and taste fresh as they are freshly frozen and keep the nutrients and all. I like my shrimp stew spicy but you can adjust the cayenne pepper to how spicy you want the stew. This will in no time be one of your favourite seafood recipes.
SHRIMP STEW RECIPE
This recipe requires just few ingredients that you’re likely to have at home. It’s ready in about 25 minutes as shrimp cooks quickly. It’s full of flavor, comforting and delicious.
No roux needed for this recipe as the tomato thickens the sauce. I so much like this recipe because
- It’s easy, quick and delicious.
- a one pot recipe thereby less tools to clean after cooking.
- Perfect for busy weeknights when you need to get dinner ready quickly.
- You decide how spicy you want the stew and adjust accordingly.
- You can substitute shrimp with prawns.
- Cheaper and better than takeout or restaurant meal.
Detailed ingredient list and directions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Shrimp – You can substitute with prawns to make it prawn stew.
Tomatoes – Fresh or canned chopped tomatoes.
Oil– Vegetable, sunflower or olive oil.
Optional Seasoning – You can add optional seasoning such as cajun seasoning.
HOW TO MAKE SHRIMP STEW
First get all ingredients ready.
1)If using fresh shrimps, devein and clean, if using frozen shrimp, deglaze by putting in colander and running under water for few minutes.
2) Place pot on stove and set to medium heat. Add oil in the pot then add in garlic and onions. Sautee for 1-2 minutes or till onion translucent.
3) Add in chopped tomatoes and bell peppers then add cayenne pepper, parsley, thyme and broth.
5) Stir and leave to cook for 10 minutes or till thickened then add in the shrimps. Stir and leave to cook for another 5 minutes or till shrimp pink and cooked.
6) Take off heat, serve and garnish with spring greens.
COCONUT SHRIMP STEW
Another twist to this shrimp stew with tomatoes is to make it into coconut shrimp stew. You only need to substitute broth for coconut milk in this recipe and you get creamy, coconuty, shrimp stew that’s simply amazing. Absolutely delicious!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SHRIMP STEW
It can also be served on Spaghetti or pasta.
Bread like this easy bread recipe , crusty bread.
If using unpeeled prawns, peel and season with salt and black pepper.
To thaw shrimp, put in colander and run under water for few minutes.
Don’t overcook shrimp to avoid rubbery taste. Shrimp is cooked when it turns pink.
To make it extra spicy, feel free to add hot peppers like scotch bonnet or chilli as desired.
HOW TO STORE
To store leftover shrimp stew, put in airtight container, label and store
In the fridge– It will last in fridge for up to 4 days.
In the freezer– Store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
To reheat– Put in the fridge overnight to defrost and heat up on the stove or microwave when ready to eat.
MORE SHRIMP RECIPES ON THE BLOG
If you make this easy shrimp stew recipe, rate it and leave comment below. I love reading from you.
Shrimp Stew Recipe
- 1lb (500g) Shrimp
- 3 tablespoon Oil Vegetable, sunflower or olive oil
- 1 can chopped tomatoes or 4 fresh tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 large Bell pepper chopped
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Parsley
- 1/4 cup Broth or Coconut milk
- 1 Stock (bouillion) cube if not using broth
- Salt to taste
- spring onions for ganish optional
- If using fresh shrimps, devein and clean, if using frozen shrimp, deglaze by putting in colander and running under water for few minutes.
- Place pot on stove and set to medium heat. Add oil in the pot then add in garlic and onions. Sautee for 1-2 minutes or till onion translucent.
- Add in chopped tomatoes, bell peppers, parsley, cayenne pepper and broth or cocnut milk.If you don't have broth, use stock (bouillion) cube.
- Stir and leave to cook for 10 minutes or till thickened then add in shrimps. Stir and leave to cook for another 5 minutes or till shrimp pink and cooked.
- Take off heat, serve and garnish with spring onions.
- Serve on fluffy rice like long grain white rice, brown rice or basmati. It also pairs well with pasta or bread.
- If using unpeeled prawns, peel and season with salt and black pepper.
- To thaw shrimp, put in colander and run under water for few minutes.
- Don’t overcook shrimp to avoid rubbery taste. Shrimp is cooked when it turns pink.
- To make it extra spicy, feel free to add hot peppers like scotch bonnet or chilli as desired.
WHAT OTHER SEAFOOD RECIPE WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO POST? COMMENT BELOW TO LET ME KNOW.