As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Slow roast leg of lamb recipe with gravy. This whole or roast half leg of lamb recipe is easy, simple, foolproof and you get well seasoned, juicy, tender meat that is packed full of flavor.
You haven’t cooked lamb leg before and you are worried thinking how to cook it? how to season it? will it turn out right? Don’t you worry because it’s actually very easy to roast leg of lamb and I will show you how!
This recipe post will show you how to roast a whole leg of lamb or half leg of lamb. You will learn how to marinate lamb, how to roast it, the timing for rare to well-done, how to make lamb gravy, what sides to serve with, tips, and more.
Roast Leg of Lamb Recipe
This roast leg of lamb recipe is simple and foolproof. It is flavorful and delicious and requires just a few ingredients.
The few ingredients are pantry ingredients which are easily accessible however you can substitute the herbs with fresh.
You don’t have to marinate at all or for long and you’ll get a great tasting lamb leg joint.
This recipe works for bone in leg of lamb or boneless, shank in or shanks off, and there’s no need to baste with marinade halfway through roasting in the oven.
Use this recipe for a whole leg of lamb or half leg of lamb. The average whole comes in 2 – 2.5kg (5-7 pounds). While half leg between 1- 1.2kg.
Baking tray – To roast in.
Saucepan – To make the gravy.
Knife – To carve the meat.
The detailed ingredient list, measurements, and directions are in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Lamb leg joint – Whole leg or half leg.
Dried Rosemary – Substitute for fresh
Garlic powder or granules – Substitute for freshly minced.
Thyme – I use dried thyme however you can use fresh.
Beef broth or Water – For the gravy
Cornflour – To thicken lamb gravy.
Beef stock cube – To make gravy.
How to Roast Leg of Lamb
Make the marinade by mixing Rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, salt, lemon juice, and Olive oil. Combine well.
Apply the marinade all over the lamb joint. Make incisions in the thick parts of the lamb and insert marinade.
Slice the onions and arrange them in the baking tray (this is to elevate the lamb out of the juice that’ll be in the baking pan).
Place the marinated lamb leg on the onions.
If marinating, cover with clingfilm and leave in the fridge to marinate for 1 hour but not more than 3 hours.
Bring out the marinated meat and allow to get to room temperature.
Preheat the oven at a temperature of 165C/ 330F.
Add a cup of beef broth or water to the baking tray the lamb is in and put the tray in the middle of the oven and roast (check time guide below).
Add more broth or water in the tray during roasting if need be. Don’t let it dry out.
When the time is done, bring out the lamb, and leave it to cool for at least 15 minutes before carving it.
How To Make Lamb Gravy
Pour the juice and drippings through a sieve from the baking tray into a pot.
Add 1/2 – 1 cup beef broth and the beef stock cube into the pot and taste if it needs more seasoning. Add more seasoning if needed.
Bring to boil then add the cornflour slurry to thicken.
Stir and when it’s thick to how you desire, take off heat.
Pour into a gravy boat and it’s ready to use.
How long to Cook Leg of Lamb in the Oven
We like it well-done but not overdone and won’t eat it if there’s pinkiness in the middle however I have detailed below a guide to cooking it how you prefer.
Based on setting the oven temperature to 165C / 330F.
For rare – 14 minutes per pound (0.5kg) or until internal temperature reaches 125F.
Medium rare – 18 minutes per pound and internal temperature 135F.
For Medium – 22 minutes per pound (0.5kg). The internal temperature will read 135 – 145F.
Well-done – 30 minutes per pound (0.5kg). The internal temperature of welldone will be at least 160 – 165F.
Now if you want fall off the bone tender lamb roast then you have to cook longer at a lower temperature. Cook at a temperature of 150C.
To get the internal temperature, use instant read thermometer. Insert the thermometer in the thickest part to get the reading.
What to Serve with
These are some suggestions of delicious sides to serve with roast leg of lamb:
Sauce – Mint sauce, gravy.
Storage and Reheating
To store leftovers, when it’s completely cool, put in a container or freezer bag, label , then store in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can also store it in the freezer for up to 6 months. It’s best to carve and remove the bone before you store.
To reheat: It can be reheated in the microwave, oven, or air fryer from frozen.
In the oven: remove all packaging, place the meat on a baking tray then roast it in the oven at a temperature of 200C/400F for 4 minutes or till it is heated through. Add additional time if need be but be careful it doesn’t dry out.
In the microwave:
In the Air Fryer: remove wraps and packaging and put in the air fryer basket. Air fry at a temperature of 170C for 5 minutes or till heated through.
- No need to marinate however you can marinate for 1 hour but not more than 3 hours.
- If you marinate it in the fridge, let it get to room temperature before cooking it in the oven.
- You can remove the bone for faster cooking. Removing the bone saves time on cooking and you are also able to get the marinade inside the cavity but leaving the bone in ensure you get the flavor from the bone.
- Make incisions in the meat to get the seasoning in.
- Season well and ensure all outer parts are covered in the marinade.
- When it’s cooked, leave to rest for at least 15 minutes before you carve.
- Add additional seasoning to the gravy if need be.
More Holiday Recipes
Hope you like this recipe as much as we do. If you find this post helpful, rate it 5 stars and leave me a comment below. I love reading from you.
Roast Leg Of Lamb Recipe With Gravy
- Baking tray
- 1.2 kg Leg of lamb double ingredients for whole leg.
- 1 tablespoon Dried Rosemary
- 1 tablespoon Dried Thyme
- 1 tablespoon Garlic powder or granules
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 cup Beef broth or Water
For Lamb Gravy
- 2 tablespoon Cornflour
- 1 5g Beef stock cube
- 1 cup Beef broth
- Make the marinade by mixing Rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, salt, lemon juice, and Olive oil. Combine well.
- Apply the marinade all over the lamb joint. Make incisions in the thick parts of the lamb and insert marinade.Slice the onions and arrange them in the baking tray (this is to elevate the lamb out of the juice that'll be in the baking pan).Place the marinated lamb leg on the onions. Cover with clingfilm and leave in the fridge to marinate for 1 hour but not more than 3 hours.
- Bring out the marinated lamb and leave to get to room temperature.Preheat the oven at a temperature of 165C/330F (Check timing below).Add a cup of beef broth or water to the baking tray the lamb is in and put the tray in the middle of the oven and roast (check time guide below).Add more broth or water in the tray during roasting if need be. Don't let it dry out.
- When the time is done, bring out the lamb, and leave it to cool for atleast 15 minutes before carving it.
How To Make Lamb Gravy
- Pour the juice and drippings through a sieve from the baking tray into a pot.Add 1/2 – 1 cup beef broth and the beef stock cube into the pot and taste if it needs more seasoning. Add more seasoning if needed.
- Bring to boil then add the cornflour slurry to thicken.Stir and when it's thick to how you desire, take off heat.Pour into a gravy boat and it's ready to use.