Easy no yeast bread recipe aka emergency bread that makes use of just 5 ingredients, simple and quick to make. Let me show you how to make bread without yeast for when you need a bannock quick loaf to put on the table.
This is simple baking powder, oil, flour and water bread that is yeast free just like irish soda bread but different. Unlike soda bread, this makes use of baking powder not baking soda and also use ingredients like oil and sugar.
It's like bannock bread and uses similar ingredients and technique.
This bread is slightly dense and probably the quickest homemade bread you'll ever make.
Let me show you the step by step on how to make this no knead bread.
No Yeast Bread Recipe (How to make bread without yeast)
Although not as light and fluffy as bread made with yeast, it is delicious with crust, filling and great for dipping in soups.
You can also make this into no yeast bread rolls by diving the dough into 9 equal parts and shaping like you would dinner rolls.
Why make no yeast bread
- Good for when you run out of yeast, can't get to the shops or when it's simply not available.
- No need for proofing or waiting for dough to rise as with traditional bread recipe so it's quick.
- No knead recipe so you can save that arm exercise for another day.
- Great as dips for soups or served with scrambled eggs, soups , jam or butter.
- No special skills or tools needed.
- Smells good, taste great.
Ingredients for No Yeast Bread
Plain flour (All purpose flour)
Milk or water
How to make bread without yeast ( No Yeast Bread)
First measure out all the ingredients and preheat oven at temperature of 220C.
Add baking powder and salt to flour and mix well.
In a mixing bowl, add warm milk or water, oil, sugar and flour mix. Combine together till it forms a dough.
Place on floured surface and shape into oval or round shape that is not more than 1.5 inch high.
Line oven tray, baking dish or pan with parchment paper then place the molded dough on it.
Bake in the preheated oven at 220C for 25 - 30 minutes or till top brown.
What to serve with
Some sides that you can eat with this homemade loaf are:
Black eyed peas curry, butter chicken
How to store
This is emergency bread that is best eaten within few days. Store in sealed container and keep in a cool place. It will last 2-3 days.
You can add raisins or nuts.
Use self raising flour and omit baking powder if you don't have plain flour .
Don't cut into it while it's hot as the inside will look uncooked.
Other bread recipes on the blog
Best bread rolls recipe - light, fluffy bread rolls that is easy to make.
Easy bread recipe - This easy bread recipe makes use of just 5 ingredients. It's easy and simple to make.
More baking recipes
Best madeira cake recipe - perfect for tea or celebration.
Want more free recipes?
Subscribe to my newsletter to get free weekly recipes delivered to your inbox, follow along on instagram and pinterest for latest updates.
If you make this no yeast no knead bread, rate it and leave a comment below.
No Yeast Bread - How To Make Bread Without Yeast
- Oven tray or Baking pan
- 375g 3 cups Plain flour (All purpose flour)
- 1.5 tablespoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1.25 cup Warm milk or Water
- 2 tablespoon Butter or oil
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- First measure out all the ingredients and preheat oven at temperature of 220C.
- Add baking powder and salt to flour and mix well.In a mixing bowl, add warm milk or water, oil, sugar and flour mix. Combine together till it forms a dough.
- Place on floured surface and shape into oval or round shape that is not more than 1.5 inch high.
- Line oven tray, baking dish or pan with parchment paper then place the molded dough on it.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 220C for 25 - 30 minutes or till top brown.
Super delicious - made it tonight for dinner! Yummy - thank you!
I was looking for something quick and easy and this recipe was perfect. The bread had a nice rise and it was delicious.
I brushed the top with butter and sprinkled on some everything bagel seasoning.
Hi Heather, That's good to know. Thanks so much for the feedback.
Cathy A. says
Took the above advice and also buttered and added everything seasoning. Turned out great. Thanks for the recipe.
I love this recipe, I'm a 72 yr old man and if I can do it anyone can but I'm amazed how good it turned out thank you so much!
Thank you Randall!
What measurement is a cup please?