As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Perfectly cooked instant pot white rice. This instant pot long grain white rice / pressure cooker white rice comes out with seperate grains, full yet firm, fluffy rice. No hard rice or mushy rice here! what you get is fluffy, welldone, delicious white rice. No instant pot? check out how to cook long grain white rice on stove.
If you’ve been following this blog for sometime and have read some of my other rice recipes, you’ll know i do not like hard undercooked rice. It just doesn’t cut it for me. I believe rice should be soft yet firm with seperate grains, non mushy and perfectly cooked to get it’s ultimate taste. If you’ve tried different recipes and still looking for that perfect one, i believe with this recipe your search is over.
INSTANT POT WHITE RICE RECIPE
This instant pot pressure cooker white rice recipe is easy to cook and takes just few minutes. This is my recipe for instant pot long grain white rice. I have other instant pot rice recipes on the blog including instant pot basmati rice, instant pot jasmine rice, instant pot spanish rice, instant pot jollof rice and many more to come.
You can use any brand of electric pressure cooker for cooking rice however cooking times may vary. I have the instant pot 7 in 1 duo 6 quart and that’s what this recipe is based on.
In this post, i have detailed what type of rice to use, ingredients, how to cook long grain white rice in instant pot, to wash rice or not to wash, rice to water ratio, cooking time, what to eat with white rice, tips, how to store and more. Do read these important notes before getting the detailed ingredient list, directions and video in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. If you do have any questions, don’t hesitate to leave me a comment and I’ll respond as soon as possible.
WHAT IS WHITE RICE
White rice is milled rice that is polished afterwards to give white, shiny look. Bran, husk and germs are removed from the rice and it has longer shelf life than other types of rice. It is also the most versatile. White rice is vegan and gluten free and used in many different recipes and different cuisines. I personally use the Tolly boy brand of easy cook long grain white rice.
WHY I LIKE INSTANT POT WHITE RICE
Easy cook long grain white rice and white basmati rice are two of my favourite types of rice. I like the versatility of long grain white rice and especially like to cook it in the instant pot because:
It is very easy to cook in the instant pot pressure cooker.
Quicker than stovetop method. It takes lesser time to cook rice in instant pot than stovetop even if the time savings is 10 – 12 minutes.
My easy cook long grain white rice comes out perfect all the time in the instant pot with this recipe.
It’s a perfect side with almost any food.
Inexpensive and filling.
I don’t have to wait around while rice is cooking. I go about the house doing other things and when rice is cooked, the pressure cooker beeps to alert me.
INGREDIENTS FOR INSTANT POT WHITE RICE
Detailed ingredients list, directions and instant pot white rice video in printable recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Easy Cook long grain white rice– I personally use the Tolly boy brand (disclaimer-I have not been paid to mention this brand neither do i have any association with the brand)
Oil – Vegetable oil, sunflower, or olive oil (Optional)
HOW TO MAKE WHITE RICE IN INSTANT POT
1) Wash rice till water runs clear then add rice in the inner pot of the instant pot pressure cooker.
2) Add water, oil and salt then cover the pot safely with it’s lid. Turn the valve into sealing position.
3) Set instant pot to manual pressure cook 8 minutes and when done, do 5 minutes natural pressure release.
4) When instant pot is depressurised, open the instant pot pressure cooker.
Wait don’t fluff yet ! The rice won’t be seperate grains at this point.
5) Take the inner pot out of the instant pot and leave partly opened for 5 minutes before fluffing rice with fork.
6) Leave for another 5 minutes before serving full, seperate, soft yet firm instant pot white rice. Enjoy!
WATER TO WHITE RICE RATIO
With this recipe cooking time, I use ratio 1:1.5 for instant pot white rice, that is 1 cup of rice to 1.5 cup of water. For example, for 2 cups of rice, it’s 3 cups of water and for 4 cups of rice, it’s 6 cups of water.
HOW MANY CALORIES IN WHITE RICE
One cup of uncooked long grain white rice has 675 calories while 1 cup plain cooked long grain white rice has 205 calories. 1 cup of dry long grain white rice gives approximately 3 cups cooked rice. Most of the calories in white rice are from carbohydrates.
IS WHITE RICE VEGAN
Yes, White rice is vegan. It is also gluten free and has longer shelf life than most types of rice.
WHAT TO EAT WITH WHITE RICE
White rice goes well with stir fries, stews, soups, curries, meats including
TIPS FOR COOKING INSTANT POT WHITE RICE
- Rinse rice well till water runs clear. This process is important to get rid of excess starch.
- Add oil to help with seperate grains.
- Add salt to rice from when it goes in the pot rather than when it’s cooked. This way the salt is evenly spread and absorbed by the rice.
HOW TO STORE WHITE RICE
Dry rice should be stored in airtight container and in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
Cooked rice – Leave rice to cool completely, put in airtight container or freezer bags, label then store in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat – reheat in the microwave from frozen or leave to thaw then reheat.
MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Instant Pot White Rice
- Instant pot pressure cooker
- 3 cups Easy cook long grain white rice
- 2 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 4.5 cups Water
- Wash rice till water runs clear then add rice in the inner pot of the instant pot pressure cooker.
- Add water, oil and salt then cover the pot safely with it’s lid. Turn the valve into sealing position.
- Set instant pot to manual pressure cook 8 minutes and when done, do 5 minutes natural pressure release.
- When instant pot is depressurised, open the instant pot pressure cooker.
- Wait don't fluff yet ! The rice won't be seperate grains at this point.Take the inner pot out of the instant pot and leave partly opened for 5 minutes before fluffing rice with fork.
- Leave for another 5 minutes before serving full, seperate, soft yet firm instant pot white rice. Enjoy!
Do you love eating rice? which is your favourite of my rice recipes? let me know in the comment section below. Also if you don’t want to miss a recipe subscribe to the blog for free weekly recipes in your email. Follow recipe vibes on instagram and pinterest. For instant pot video recipes, subscribe to recipe vibes Youtube channel.