As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
This easy instant pot tomato soup is comforting, full of flavour, healthy and delicious. It’s vegetarian, gluten free and quick to make..what’s not to love about this instant pot tomato soup recipe? Don’t worry if you don’t have instant pot, I have included stovetop recipe and you can also make this in any pressure cooker.
The winter season is upon us and it’s time to bring out the soup recipes. This instant pot tomato soup recipe is one of the easiest soups you will make. You need few ingredients and it takes just 20 minutes to cook in the instant pot pressure cooker. If you are new to instant pot, check out my post on How to use instant pot . It’s a simple guide to getting started with your IP.
Instant Pot Tomato Soup
This instant pot tomato soup is dairy free, healthy and a delicious way to get in your five a day. With homemade tomato soup, you know exactly what’s in it, you are able to control the ingredients, salt level and preservation of the soup.
This soup takes just 20 minutes to cook and make use of few ingredients so why not homemade tomato soup? You can even make in large batch and freeze for later.
Ingredients for instant pot tomato soup
For this delicious tomato soup, you will need these ingredients :
Tomatoes – This tomato soup is made with fresh tomatoes however you can substitute for canned tomatoes.
Olive oil – To sautee onions and garlic
Chicken broth or Vegetable stock for Vegan
Basil leaves – Fresh
Italian seasoning – check out my homemade Italian seasoning recipe . This can be substituted with Oregano and dried basil.
Crushed chillies – (Optional)
How to make instant pot tomato soup
This is the easiest tomato soup recipe. Let me take you through the steps:
1) Set the instant pot to sautee function then add olive oil in the inner pot of the instant pot.
2) Add garlic and onion then sautee for 2 minutes. To avoid burning or sticking to the inner pot, you can add few tablespoons of water in to sautee.
3) Add in carrot, tomatoes, black pepper, Italian seasoning, sugar, chicken broth and fresh basil.
4) Cancel (put off) sautee function and cover the instant pot with the IP lid. Turn the valve in sealing position and set to manual pressure cook for 7 minutes.
5) Do 7 minutes natural pressure release then open the instant pot. Use immersion blender or blender to smoothly blend the soup.
6) Taste and adjust for seasoning and salt and this basil tomato soup is ready to be enjoyed.
Delicious, comforting soup.
Stovetop tomato soup
1) Add olive oil in a pan then add garlic and onion. Sautee for 2 minutes or till soft before adding carrot.
2) Add in tomatoes, black pepper, crushed chillies (optional), Italian seasoning, fresh basil, sugar and chicken broth. Leave to cook for 20 minutes.
3) Take off heat and puree with immersion blender or traditional blender.
4) Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve and garnish with fresh basil leaves.
Roasted tomato soup recipe
For roasted tomato soup, cut fresh tomatoes into two, arrange on baking sheet lined oven tray and roast in the oven for 20 minutes. You can also roast on open fire.
After roasting the peppers, follow the cooking steps for Instant pot or stovetop method.
What to eat tomato soup with
Tomato soup can be enjoyed on it’s own, it can serve as perfect dip with chunks of toasted bread. You can also serve with :
Grilled cheese sandwich
Frequently asked questions
What type of tomatoes should i use?
It’s best to use ripe, juicy fresh tomatoes You can use heirloom tomatoes, vine tomatoes, plum tomatoes, you can also use canned tomatoes in the absence of fresh tomatoes.
Do yo need to peel tomatoes for soup?
There’s no need to peel the tomatoes.
Can i add tomato puree in tomato soup
Yes you can add a tablespoon of tomato puree in this recipe.
Can i use canned tomatoes ?
Yes you can use canned plum tomatoes or canned chopped tomatoes. Follow the same step as detailed in recipe card.
How to store tomato soup
Leftover tomato soup may be frozen for up to 3 months. To freeze, store in airtight freezer safe container or freezer bags, label and put in the freezer. When needed, defrost before reheating.
Other delicious recipes on the blog
Instant pot tomato soup
- Instant pot pressure cooker
- 800 g Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 1.5 cups chicken broth Vegetable stock for vegan
- 1 handful basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed peppers optional
- Set the instant pot to sautee function then add olive oil in the inner pot of the
- Add garlic and onion then sautee for 2 minutes.
To avoid burning or sticking to the inner pot, you can add few tablespoons of
water in to sautee.
- Add in carrot, tomatoes, black pepper, Italian seasoning, sugar, chicken broth and fresh basil.
- Cancel (put off) sautee function and cover
the instant pot with the IP lid. Turn the valve in sealing position and set to
manual pressure cook for 7 minutes.
- Do 7 minutes natural pressure release then open
the instant pot. Use immersion blender or traditional blender to smoothly blend the soup.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning and salt and this basil tomato soup is ready to be enjoyed.
Subscribe to the blog for free weekly recipes in your email. Also follow recipe vibes on instagram and subscribe to our youtube channel.
If you try this tomato soup recipe, rate it and leave comment below. I love reading from you!