Instant pot Italian Sausage recipe / regular sausage recipe that is easy, simple and quick. This instant pot pressure cooker Italian sausage recipe is perfect for breakfasts, weekend and weeknights dinner. It is delicious, low carb and keto.
What is Italian Sausage
Italian sausage is thick pork sausage that is seasoned with spice mix including garlic, chilli and fennel being the major seasoning. Italian sausages is fatter than regular sausages. In North America, it's usually sold in three varieties, hot, mild and sweet. In Italy, Italian sausages can be any variety of sausages.
Instant Pot Italian sausage recipe
Sausages makes for great breakfast and weeknight dinners. Making sausages in the instant pot is a game changer. It is simpler and quicker than making it in the oven. You get juicy, flavourful sausages in 20 minutes thanks to this pressure cooker sausage recipe.
I like sausages to be nicely browned on the outside so i have used the sautee and pressure cooker function of the instant pot for this recipe. If you don't want it browned on the outside, you can skip the browning step before pressure cooking. I like Instant pot sausages because it only requires one pot which makes cleaning easy. You get your hands free during cooking and free to do other things while sausages cook in the pressure cooker.
This Instant pot sausage recipe is for regular sausage and Italian sausage. The same method is used for both and it's the cooking time that differs. You can use chicken and beef sausages. I have noted the pressure cooking time for regular sausages and Italian sausages.
This recipe was made in my Instant Pot duo 6 quart however you can use any other electric pressure cooker like pressure king pro or ninja foodie.
Ingredients for Italian Sausage
Detailed ingredient list, recipe and video in the recipe card at the end of this post.
The Ingredients you'll need for this recipe are:
Italian seasoning - Check out my post on homemade Italian seasoning
Vegetable oil - You won't need this if you skip the step to brown the sausages
How to make Instant pot Italian sausage
1) Set instant pot to saute then add vegetable oil in the inner pot of the instant pot.
2) Once the oil is hot, add sausages in single layer.
3) Brown the sides of the sausages. This takes about 5 minutes.
4) Take out the sausages from the instant pot and discard the oil.
5) Add 1 cup water and Italian seasoning in the inner pot of the instant pot then place a trivet in the instant pot pressure cooker.
6) Place the sausages on the trivet. Close the instant pot with it's lid then set valve into sealing position.
7) Pressure cook Italian sausages on high for 15 minutes and 5 minutes natural release or pressure cook regular sausages on high for 8 minutes and 5 minutes natural pressure release.
8) When instant pot is depressurised, open and take out sausages.
Serve and enjoy
What to serve with Italian sausage
Sausages can be used in variety of dishes. You can add it in recipes like my instant pot omelette, instant pot lo mein, stir fries, put in a bun, and more.
You can serve Italian sausages with
Instant pot baked beans - recipe coming soon
- You can skip sautee in the IP and broil in the oven after pressure cooking.
- If using frozen sausages, skip step 1- 4 and go straight to pressure cooking. Pressure cook for 18 minutes instead of 15 for Italian sausages and 10 minutes for regular sausages. Broil in the oven for 5 minutes for crispy skin.
Other Instant Pot recipes you'll love
Instant Pot Italian Sausage
- Instant pot pressure cooker
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 1 cup Water
- Set instant pot to saute then add vegetable oil in the inner pot of the instant pot.
- Once the oil is hot, add sausages in single layer.
- Brown the sides of the sausages. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Once the sausages are browned, takethem out of the instant pot and discard the oil in the pot.
- Add 1 cup water and Italian seasoning in the inner pot of the IP then place a trivet in the Instant pot.
- Place the sausages on the trivet. Close the instant pot with it's lid then set valve into sealing position.
- Pressure cook Italian sausages on high for 15 minutes and 5 minutes natural release or Pressure cook regular sausages on high for 8 minutes and 5 minutes natural pressure release.
- When instant pot is depressurised, open and take out the Italian sausages.
- Serve and enjoy.
Don’t want to miss a thing? Subscribe to the blog for free weekly recipes in your email. Also follow recipe vibes on instagram and pinterest. Subscribe to my Youtube channel for recipe videos.
If you try this instant pot sausage recipe, rate it and leave comment below. I’d love to read from you.
Leave a Reply