Air fryer prawns or shrimp recipe! Cook shrimp in the air fryer from fresh or frozen and get succulent, delicious, flavorful seafood that can be eaten on its own or served with side dishes like rice, pasta, curries, and tacos. Learn how to cook it in easy steps.
This recipe can be used for prawns or shrimp. Continue reading for tips, and answers to frequently asked questions.
Air Fryer Shrimp Recipe (Air Fryer Prawns)
This air fryer shrimp recipe is super easy, and quick, and it comes out flavourful and delicious.
Cooking prawns in air fryer is easier than cooking them any other way. No mess, no stress, and definitely no splatter unlike when pan fried.
These are seasoned with spices and herbs that are packed full of flavor and then cooked for a few minutes. The ingredients used for making it are simple and readily available in most kitchen pantries.
This is air fryer shrimp no breading so no unnecessary calories are added to it. They are cooked with clean, natural ingredients and can be eaten as part of a low-carb or protein diet.
With this recipe, no tough, or rubbery prawns, what you get is flavorful, juicy ones.
I used homemade shrimp seasoning which is made up of herbs and spices that pairs well with it. The seasoning uses just 4 ingredients, smells and tastes amazing. In this post, I have listed ingredients to season it with if you don't want to make the above seasoning. Also, some other seasonings that you can use are:
Here are what you will need to make it:
Oil - I like to use olive oil. If not available then sub with vegetable or sunflower oil. You can also use butter.
Step By Step Instructions
Here's a step by step directions on how to cook Prawns or Shrimp in the air fryer:
Peel, devein, clean, and pat shrimp dry with paper towels.
Add the seasoning (paprika, parsley, black pepper, garlic powder, onion granules, salt) and oil to the shrimp. Mix till they are coated evenly in the seasoning.
Pour the shrimp into the air fryer basket or air fryer rack and arrange them in a single layer.
Set the air fryer to a temperature of 400F/200C and air fry shrimp for 8 minutes.
Bring them out, serve and enjoy.
How Long To Cook Shrimp In Air Fryer
How long to cook shrimp in the air fryer is based on the size, whether cooking it from fresh or frozen and the temperature at which it's being cooked. Jumbo shrimps will take slightly longer to cook than smaller-sized ones while cooking from fresh will take a shorter time than cooking from frozen.
Also, there are different types, brands, models, and sizes of air fryers. This will also determine the cooking time.
The good thing is the difference is usually a couple of minutes.
How long to cook shrimp in air fryer from fresh is 8 minutes.
Also, how long to cook it from frozen is 10 minutes.
The above cooking time is for jumbo size. For smaller-sized ones, reduce the cooking time by 2-4 minutes.
It is cooked when it is pink and tender. Overcooking can turn it rubbery.
Below are some suggestions of what to serve it with:
How To Store
They are best eaten freshly cooked however, if you have leftovers, you can store them in the refrigerator.
In the fridge - Place in an airtight container or a sealable sandwich bag, label, and put in the fridge where it will keep well for 2 days.
In the freezer: Place in a sealable freezer bag, or an airtight container, label with name and dates, and store in the freezer where it will keep well for up to 3 months.
How To Reheat
In the Air fryer - Put in the air fryer basket or on the oven-style rack or tray, air fry at 180C/370F for 1-2 minutes or until heated through to how you like it.
Microwave - Put the shrimps on a microwave-safe plate and heat on high power for 10-15 seconds or till warmed through.
In the oven- Line the baking tray with parchment paper then place them on it. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C/360F for 2 minutes or until heated through.
- It's best to use Jumbo shrimp as shrimp shrink when cooked. Jumbo ones have a good bite size on them.
- Use raw prawns and not ready-cooked for this recipe.
- Cleaned and deveined will save you the time and effort of doing them yourself.
- They can be easily overcooked and become rubbery so check on them and don't leave them in the air fryer as they can continue cooking with the heat.
- Don't be heavy-handed with the salting.
- Don't overcrowd the air fryer. Cook in batches if needed.
Frequently Asked Questions
They are not. They look similar but they are different species. They can be seasoned and cooked the same way and have similar cooking times.
It takes 6-10 minutes to cook in the air fryer depending on the size, the type, and the size of the air fryer.
Yes, the air fryer is one of the best kitchen appliances to cook frozen foods in.
No, you don't have to and they come out nicely cooked as long as they are in a single layer and not stacked.
When the shrimp is pink and fork-tender. The internal temperature will be 120F when checked with an instant meat thermometer.
More Quick Air Fryer Recipes
Want more? Browse our other air fryer recipes on this blog.
I hope you like this air fryer shrimp recipe as much as we do. If you find this post helpful, please rate it 5 stars and leave me a comment below. I love reading from you.
Air Fryer Shrimp (Air Fryer Prawns)
- Air Fryer
- 250 g Shrimp or Prawns
- ¼ teaspoon Parsley
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon Onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Peel, devein, clean, and pat shrimps dry with paper towels.
- Add the seasoning (paprika, parsley, black pepper, garlic powder, onion granules, salt) and oil to the shrimp. Mix till shrimps coated evenly in the seasoning.
- Pour the shrimps into the air fryer basket or air fryer rack and arrange them in a single layer.
- Set air fryer to a temperature of 400F/200C and air fry shrimp for 8 minutes.Bring them out, serve and enjoy.
Air Fryer Frozen Shrimp
- Run the shrimps under cold water to deglaze them. Add them into a bowl and pat them dry with paper towels.
- Add the seasoning and oil into a bowl. Mix well.
- Brush the mix on the shrimps. Cover all parts with the seasoning.
- Arrange shrimps in the air fryer basket.Air fry frozen shrimp at a temperature of 400F/200C for 10 minutes.
- Bring them out of the air fryer, serve and enjoy.
- It's best to use Jumbo shrimp/Prawns as they shrink when cooked. Jumbo ones have a good bite size on them.
- Use raw shrimp and not ready-cooked for this recipe.
- Cleaned and deveined will save you time and effort of doing them yourself.
- Shrimps can be easily overcooked and become rubbery so check on them and don't leave them in the air fryer as they can continue cooking with the heat.
- Don't be heavy handed with salting the shrimps.
- Don't overcrowd the air fryer. Cook in batches if needed.